Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I started my A levels a couple of days ago and so far I'm just so unsure about what direction I want to go in in the future. Being a doctor was something I wanted to do when I was little and the idea of helping and making an impact on peoples lives in hospital still appeals to me. However, I hate many aspects of being a doctor, such as the incredible stress, extremely long training time, long hours (including sometimes working at weekends), and the commitment it requires, if I was to change my mind. My current A levels are biology, chemistry, physics, maths and history and I want to drop one of these in a week or two (preferably a science) but I don't know if its worth keeping the medicine option open or not. I haven't had any experience in a hospital other than visiting the radiography department, so don't really know if I'd actually enjoy being a doctor. I'm so unsure because I don't really want to work in a lab but IT (and computer science), engineering, along with other jobs related to degrees that history opens up (such as law or maybe philosophy) interest me, though I haven't had any experience in these fields. My issue is whether I should keep medicine open or just abandon it and go for something else, because I'm just so unsure whether I want to do it or not, and don't know if I'd enjoy it enough for the positives to outweigh the negatives. I've been through phases where I've been really depressed about death, so I'm thinking whether medicine would make me sad or simply make me more grateful for the life God gave me. I don't really want to end up working in a lab which is why I chose to add history (and I find it interesting). It's very difficult for me to decide based on what I'm good at because I got straight A*s in my GCSEs, though I did find maths kind of boring at times but I want to do this anyway just because it's really useful for loads of jobs and degrees and things. I know I can't keep my options completely open for much longer and I'm just so unsure about what to do. Sorry about this quite long question and I appreciate it if you've managed to read through the whole thing, any replies are appreciated and if you need any more information I'll try my best to provide it.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredder457)
    Hi guys,
    I started my A levels a couple of days ago and so far I'm just so unsure about what direction I want to go in in the future. Being a doctor was something I wanted to do when I was little and the idea of helping and making an impact on peoples lives in hospital still appeals to me. However, I hate many aspects of being a doctor, such as the incredible stress, extremely long training time, long hours (including sometimes working at weekends), and the commitment it requires, if I was to change my mind. My current A levels are biology, chemistry, physics, maths and history and I want to drop one of these in a week or two (preferably a science) but I don't know if its worth keeping the medicine option open or not. I haven't had any experience in a hospital other than visiting the radiography department, so don't really know if I'd actually enjoy being a doctor. I'm so unsure because I don't really want to work in a lab but IT (and computer science), engineering, along with other jobs related to degrees that history opens up (such as law or maybe philosophy) interest me, though I haven't had any experience in these fields. My issue is whether I should keep medicine open or just abandon it and go for something else, because I'm just so unsure whether I want to do it or not, and don't know if I'd enjoy it enough for the positives to outweigh the negatives. I've been through phases where I've been really depressed about death, so I'm thinking whether medicine would make me sad or simply make me more grateful for the life God gave me. I don't really want to end up working in a lab which is why I chose to add history (and I find it interesting). It's very difficult for me to decide based on what I'm good at because I got straight A*s in my GCSEs, though I did find maths kind of boring at times but I want to do this anyway just because it's really useful for loads of jobs and degrees and things. I know I can't keep my options completely open for much longer and I'm just so unsure about what to do. Sorry about this quite long question and I appreciate it if you've managed to read through the whole thing, any replies are appreciated and if you need any more information I'll try my best to provide it.
    Thanks.
    Perhaps drop Maths or Physics? That way, Medicine is still an option for you if you so wish as many universities ask for Chemistry and/or Biology to do Medicine. That way, a degree in something like History is also still an option as you'd have that A Level.

As for not wanting to do Medicine, I think the very idea that you're questioning it perhaps shows that, deep down, you don't particularly want to do it?
    I'd suggest shadowing a doctor in a GP's surgery or in a hospital if you can. Ask a lot of question, find out what it's really like for doctors these days. If that makes you want to run a mile, don't do Medicine.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I started my A levels a couple of days ago and so far I'm just so unsure about what direction I want to go in in the future. Being a doctor was something I wanted to do when I was little and the idea of helping and making an impact on peoples lives in hospital still appeals to me....

... However, I hate many aspects of being a doctor, such as the incredible stress, extremely long training time, long hours (including sometimes working at weekends), and the commitment it requires,
    Medicine is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I started my A levels a couple of days ago and so far I'm just so unsure about what direction I want to go in in the future. Being a doctor was something I wanted to do when I was little and the idea of helping and making an impact on peoples lives in hospital still appeals to me. However, I hate many aspects of being a doctor, such as the incredible stress, extremely long training time, long hours (including sometimes working at weekends), and the commitment it requires, if I was to change my mind.
    So...what about it does appeal to you? How do you think you'll be able to make an impact or help people without putting in significant amounts of time and energy into learning and working?

It seems (reading between the lines) that you're more taken with the image of being a doctor rather than the reality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Democracy, that may very well be true...

ReputationRep:
    Yes Democracy, that may very well be true...
    It's good to identify that early on. There's nothing wrong with realising that your expectations don't quite match up to the reality of a situation. Medicine and being a doctor require a lot of commitment and dedication - yes, as a doctor you will help patients and make a difference to their lives, but not without first making significant sacrifices on your part. It's not possible to experience the privileges of the job without also putting in the work.

And on that note, being a doctor isn't the only way you can make a difference or help people - so it's fine to reconsider and think about other jobs instead.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Democracy;59158983]It's good to identify that early on. There's nothing wrong with realising that your expectations don't quite match up to the reality of a situation. Medicine and being a doctor require a lot of commitment and dedication - yes, as a doctor you will help patients and make a difference to their lives, but not without first making significant sacrifices on your part. It's not possible to experience the privileges of the job without also putting in the work.

And on that note, being a doctor isn't the only way you can make a difference or help people - so it's fine to reconsider and think about other jobs instead.[/

Do you have any idea about other jobs where I could achieve this?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi

Try this free page, written by doctors and complete with case studies, which addresses 'deciding on medicine':

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...g-on-medicine/

Here's more info on other allied health professions too

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...allied-health/

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of relate, in the fact that I thought I always wanted to be a nurse, however, 6 months into my Nursing degree I realised that I made the wrong decision. I truly admire nurses, but I didn't see myself sticking with that profession - my heart just wasn't 100% in it. A positive did come from that experience though, I found Radiography. Helping people and working in the hospital environment has always appealed to me and I've always known that one day I'd have a career in the NHS, it was just a matter of pinpointing the career that was most suited to me. So, after a lot of hard work, and a ton of research, I found Radiography was the career best suited to me, and I start my degree as of next week.

You won't 100% what it is you want to do unless you try it and gain some experience, and if you decide it's not what you want, that's ok. It's a case of finding what interests you most, find a career that fascinates you so much that working within that profession won't really feel like a job, as such. For me, I found a career that combines anatomy, technology and people... it's perfect!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.