The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If grammars did come back on a big scale. it would be full of ethnic minorities because most white British parents don't care about their kids' education and would rather argue with teachers why their kid is being excluded for bad behavior than making sure they don't play truant or mess around in class.

Ethnic minorities like Indians, Africans and Chinese are far keener on education and making sure their kids work hard, behave in class and get good grades.
I think grammar schools are a good idea.
The 'brighter' students are more likely to perform better being in a grammar school as the environment is a LOT different to comprehensive. Also it's a great way to ensure that people who can not afford private schools can get a really good education for free.

Also I saw that someone wrote that only the wealthy get in, that's not true. in my school at least 20% of places are reserved for those from poorer backgrounds.
In addition, I'm quite sure that the wealthy would send their children to private schools as the education IS slightly better there than in grammar schools.
I remember doing the exams for a couple of grammar schools when I was 11. I didn’t pass besides one which said I lived too far away. That was for the best I mean how was I supposed to get to a grammar school that’s 1.5hrs away by tram at 11? I went to a normal not great high school and smashed my GCSEs and am attending a good sixth form where I’m on track to get 3 As and go to a Russel group uni to study dentistry. What I mean is if I were to look back on my ability as a student I was average until year 9 this is where I sprouted but I was still behind my classmates until year 11. Overall I’m an average student. I’m not intelligent. I just worked hard. Grammar schools didn’t want me, that’s fine but they sure missed out!

Latest

Trending

Trending