Turn on thread page Beta

Data monitor on phone doesn't match what EE tell me my average usage is. Which one? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have a data cap set on my phone, out of curiosity more than anything because I have unlimited, but it normally goes up to 6-8GB a month, with the majority of that taken up by my Tumblr app, so it says.

I went into EE yesterday and told him I was worried about getting a new contact that had limited data because of how much I use, then he said I only use 1.8GB a month, according to my accounts and that phones normally differ in the way they measure it.

So which one is right? If I got say 2GB a month, I'd want to set a limit on my phone, but if my phone is monitoring it differently then I can't really set a limit. 8GB for my usage really seems excessive considering I've got friends who are on waaaay less and don't have to worry about approaching the cap. I just don't know why it's telling me it's so high though.

I'm mainly asking because I need a new contract and it is too expensive for me to get unlimited data again really so I want to know where I need to cap it off at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    So I have a data cap set on my phone, out of curiosity more than anything because I have unlimited, but it normally goes up to 6-8GB a month, with the majority of that taken up by my Tumblr app, so it says.

I went into EE yesterday and told him I was worried about getting a new contact that had limited data because of how much I use, then he said I only use 1.8GB a month, according to my accounts and that phones normally differ in the way they measure it.

So which one is right? If I got say 2GB a month, I'd want to set a limit on my phone, but if my phone is monitoring it differently then I can't really set a limit. 8GB for my usage really seems excessive considering I've got friends who are on waaaay less and don't have to worry about approaching the cap. I just don't know why it's telling me it's so high though.

I'm mainly asking because I need a new contract and it is too expensive for me to get unlimited data again really so I want to know where I need to cap it off at.
    Is your app measuring all data usage (i.e the phone network + wifi) while EE is just telling you what you've done over their network?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Is your app measuring all data usage (i.e the phone network + wifi) while EE is just telling you what you've done over their network?
    Well it will be the phone network because I never connect my phone to wifi.

ReputationRep:
    you can download EE's mobile app to monitor the usage and see what happens next month

ReputationRep:
    Network providers sometimes exclude certain types of traffic from your allowance, too. You should probably check your usage (according to EE) across quite a long period to check; but ultimately it's their numbers that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raymondlin)
    you can download EE's mobile app to monitor the usage and see what happens next month
    nice info friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Well it will be the phone network because I never connect my phone to wifi.
    If you need an app to track data usage then I'd recommend "My Data Manager". It's served me well over the years and has almost always tallied up with Android's in built data manager and the Virgin Mobile data checker app, so it's pretty reliable.

You can check either mobile data or wifi - it's quite simple to use. And you can set up a data cap so that if you reach a predefined amount, it'll turn off mobile data so you don't go over the limit.

Hope that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 29, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.