Turn on thread page Beta

Should student satisfaction affect my decision? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have been to a few open days and I am beginning to form my list of 5 unis to send my UCAS form off to. Trouble is I am stuck on choosing since some of the unis I have seen have very poor student ratings, especially the city based ones.

Bristol university is my main concern since it is rated 5th for computer science, but only 42% of students were satisfied with the course. I am not sure what to think because it seems to me like somehow the university is going downhill.

LSE for actuarial science is also very low for satisfaction and has low salaries after graduating for a degree of that stature, although I believe there are still more actuary exams you need to take first.

Why are these ratings so low for these universities and should I let this put me off going there entirely?

Currently I am thinking CASS (actuarial), Nottingham (CompSci), Exeter (CompSci), Exeter(Maths), Kent(CompSci),

-Binary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BinaryJava)
    Hey guys,

I have been to a few open days and I am beginning to form my list of 5 unis to send my UCAS form off to. Trouble is I am stuck on choosing since some of the unis I have seen have very poor student ratings, especially the city based ones.

Bristol university is my main concern since it is rated 5th for computer science, but only 42% of students were satisfied with the course. I am not sure what to think because it seems to me like somehow the university is going downhill.

LSE for actuarial science is also very low for satisfaction and has low salaries after graduating for a degree of that stature, although I believe there are still more actuary exams you need to take first.

Why are these ratings so low for these universities and should I let this put me off going there entirely?

Currently I am thinking CASS (actuarial), Nottingham (CompSci), Exeter (CompSci), Exeter(Maths), Kent(CompSci),

-Binary
    They only tell a partial truth as it is only students that have purposely do the survey thats opinions are considered so take the satisfaction rating with a heavy pinch of salt and it shouldn't factor into your decision much

And low salaries are an average of all students surveyed and again data is normally very incomplete. And don't forget lots of students go into different careers which have very different amounts of pay so the average will not likely be what you earn

My main concern would be that you're applying for 3 different courses, I would make it two at the most if I were you (so maths and comp sci or maths and actuarial science)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.