alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone have any tips for me during A2? I got a D during AS and really want to turn this into a C but find his subject so hard even though I put a lot of work in. Also as the exam is closed book this year does anyone have any tips?
For example, do i have to memories a summary for every story in the bloody chamber?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
Does anyone have any tips for me during A2? I got a D during AS and really want to turn this into a C but find his subject so hard even though I put a lot of work in. Also as the exam is closed book this year does anyone have any tips?
For example, do i have to memories a summary for every story in the bloody chamber?
The best piece of advice I can offer you is to stick to the assessment objectives and treat your essays like a formula. Whilst there is freedom for interpretation, it's vital you incorporate the assessment objectives into your essays effectively and succinctly. Remember to bring in wider reading too! The way I did this was by selecting gothic texts for my coursework and using them where I could. However, another way I did this was by researching a few quotes in other gothic texts and applying them where I could, as long as you know the rough context of the quote you can do this pretty easily.

As for TBC, even though it's not necessarily advised, you could do what I did and pick only a few of the stories, ensuring that you cover a few themes. I would particularly focus on TBC story itself as that is obviously vital to the book, and then select a few others. I ensured I understood the plot and then selected numerous quotes that could be applied to various questions. Although I learnt a ridiculous number of quotes, it's probably best to stick to a smaller number, but selecting ones that are applicable to several themes!

I absolutely loved A2, much more than AS, and in some ways it's actually more straightforward.

If you'd like to ask any specific questions, go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
The best piece of advice I can offer you is to stick to the assessment objectives and treat your essays like a formula. Whilst there is freedom for interpretation, it's vital you incorporate the assessment objectives into your essays effectively and succinctly. Remember to bring in wider reading too! The way I did this was by selecting gothic texts for my coursework and using them where I could. However, another way I did this was by researching a few quotes in other gothic texts and applying them where I could, as long as you know the rough context of the quote you can do this pretty easily.

As for TBC, even though it's not necessarily advised, you could do what I did and pick only a few of the stories, ensuring that you cover a few themes. I would particularly focus on TBC story itself as that is obviously vital to the book, and then select a few others. I ensured I understood the plot and then selected numerous quotes that could be applied to various questions. Although I learnt a ridiculous number of quotes, it's probably best to stick to a smaller number, but selecting ones that are applicable to several themes!

I absolutely loved A2, much more than AS, and in some ways it's actually more straightforward.

If you'd like to ask any specific questions, go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for the advice. For the exam I'm doing TBC, doctor faustus and Frankenstein. So for the section A for the exam, is it a good idea already knowing which of the three texts you will do and securing solid marks this way? Also, is this where you said just to memorise a few quotes and short summaries for tbc?
I'm starting the coursework soon and have one dystopian piece and then the piece on TBC using Marxism and Feminism theory which is the bit I'm particularly struggling with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (10)
31.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
6.25%
No I am happy with my choice (18)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads