The Student Room Group

Funding Intercalation

Hello!

I am planning to intercalate after Year 4 and I was wondering if anyone knows whether the NHS would fund this year outside of medicine as well? And whether they will fund both a BSc and a MSc or just the BSc?

Thank you in advanced
From fifth year of study NHS will fund. But only for a BSc. You have to pay for a masters yourself I'm afraid.
Original post by alicexelizabeth
From fifth year of study NHS will fund. But only for a BSc. You have to pay for a masters yourself I'm afraid.

Ah okay :frown: that's annoying as the MSc I want to do is cheaper than 9k which is what a year of BSc will be...

Thank you though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alicexelizabeth

Not true.

Original post by areyousure?
Ah okay :frown: that's annoying as the MSc I want to do is cheaper than 9k which is what a year of BSc will be...

Thank you though :smile:

The NHS will fund your tuition fees plus a non-guaranteed grant for every year after your 4th year of study. If you intercalated after 4th year (in your 5th year) you will get a contribution from the NHS. This is only up to the 'standard tuition fee contribution', which for me and my masters is £3,500 because I am on the lower tuition fees. Presumably you are on the higher fees? In that situation I'm not sure, but if the NHS funds a £9000 BSc I see no reason why they wouldn't fund a £5500 or whatever masters. Last time I checked (this was asked in the med students thread maybe 10 months ago) there wasn't information specifically about it from the NHS. If you check now they might be though? There definitely isn't a "we only fund undergraduate intercalated degrees" rule though. People always think that because 1) that's what student finance think and 2) most people intercalated a BSc.
Reply 4
But the question is, the tuition fee paid by NHS after fourth year for the purpose of intercalated Bsc is a loan or grant. Also who will pay the tuition fee for sixth year to complete the medicine course, will that be NHS or student finance and again will that be a loan or grant if it is paid by NHS in 6th year.
Reply 5
Original post by himjag
But the question is, the tuition fee paid by NHS after fourth year for the purpose of intercalated Bsc is a loan or grant. Also who will pay the tuition fee for sixth year to complete the medicine course, will that be NHS or student finance and again will that be a loan or grant if it is paid by NHS in 6th year.

It's a grant. And the NHS will pay for your tuition in your 6th year of study as well, with a grant. :smile:

Years 1-4 SFE (tuition loan)

Year 5 NHS (tuition grant) if you're on a 5 year course

Year 5-6 NHS (tuition grant) if you're on a 6 year course, or intercalated on a 5 year course
Original post by Beska
It's a grant. And the NHS will pay for your tuition in your 6th year of study as well, with a grant. :smile:

Years 1-4 SFE (tuition loan)

Year 5 NHS (tuition grant) if you're on a 5 year course

Year 5-6 NHS (tuition grant) if you're on a 6 year course, or intercalated on a 5 year course

Would like to clarify: Tuition fees, whatever they may be, are covered by NHS grant and do not need to be payed back?

And separate question: how does maintenance/living change heading into 5th and 6th years? I'm currently in my 4th year as a full time, dependant, undergraduate studying medicine and intercalating in my 5th year. Won't be applying for any means testing.

Have not been able to find any simple answers on anyones website and finding things very frustrating.
Original post by GlaisDragon
Would like to clarify: Tuition fees, whatever they may be, are covered by NHS grant and do not need to be payed back?

For 5th (and 6th, if taken) yes.

And separate question: how does maintenance/living change heading into 5th and 6th years?

Substantial decrease. To about £1800 I believe. This page seems about accurate even though the dates are out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8

And separate question: how does maintenance/living change heading into 5th and 6th years? I'm currently in my 4th year as a full time, dependant, undergraduate studying medicine and intercalating in my 5th year. Won't be applying for any means testing.

Have not been able to find any simple answers on anyones website and finding things very frustrating.

What nexttime said. :smile:

N.B. It isn't the case of "whatever they will be" - it's up to what the NHS would pay on your undergraduate MBBS. So if you're on the £3k odd fees, it will be that, but if you're on the £9k fees it's that. Any extra you pay yourself to the uni.

Call them (not email...) and you should get a definite answer. Yes to BSc (personal experience), not sure about the MSc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending