Turn on thread page Beta

Integration by parts trig substitution FP2 watch

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me with this?

Find the integral of e^{xcosa} * cos(xsina) dx

Supposedly I could use a substitution and take it from there but this one seems a little tricky.
    Any help appreciated!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    Could anyone help me with this?

Find the integral of e^{xcosa} * cos(xsina) dx

Supposedly I could use a substitution and take it from there but this one seems a little tricky.
    Any help appreciated!
    Is 'a' a constant? If it is then this integral can be written in a simpler way

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}\cos cx \ dx

And this can be integrated using parts twice with something extra that you have to do at the end. Post your working if you get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)

And this can be integrated using parts twice with something extra that you have to do at the end. Post your working if you get stuck.
    Hi, I'm a GCSE student so I have no idea if this is right or not, so could you check the first two lines of my working please? It's here --->Name:  Integration by parts.PNG
Views: 185
Size:  3.7 KB
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dingooose)
    Hi, I'm a GCSE student so I have no idea if this is right or not, so could you check the first two lines of my working please? It's here --->Name:  Integration by parts.PNG
    It's nearly correct but you've lost the 'c' from the brackets of the trig function.

\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\cos cx\right) = -c\sin cx

ReputationRep:
    It's nearly correct but you've lost the 'c' from the brackets of the trig function.

\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\cos cx\right) = -c\sin cx
    Ah yes of course, thanks. But where would I go from there?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Ah yes of course, thanks. But where would I go from there?
    Use integration by parts again. It will feel like you're going in circles if you do it correctly. But there's a trick:

Notice that you have the same integral on the left and the right of the equation and think how you can rearrange.

Post your working if you get stuck.

Edit : Since you're not the OP, please wait for the OP to respond before posting your working. Alternatively start a new thread or pm me.

ReputationRep:
    why are you doing this level of calculus if you are a GCSE student ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    why are you doing this level of calculus if you are a GCSE student ?
    I'm not OP, and I came across this thread by chance. I'm just kinda interested I guess. I certainly don't need this level of calculus as a GCSE student, but nobody is ever too young to do maths.

ReputationRep:
    Use integration by parts again. It will feel like you're going in circles if you do it correctly. But there's a trick:

Notice that you have the same integral on the left and the right of the equation and think how you can rearrange.

Post your working if you get stuck.

Edit : Since you're not the OP, please wait for the OP to respond before posting your working. Alternatively start a new thread or pm me.
    I can't upload a pic and send it to you via PM it seems.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I can't upload a pic and send it to you via PM it seems.
    Typing it should be fine. E.g. you can write maths like this : e^x * sin(cx)

ReputationRep:
    Typing it should be fine. E.g. you can write maths like this : e^x * sin(cx)
    Thanks, I sent you a PM.

ReputationRep:

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}\cos cx \ dx = \frac{1}{b} e^{bx} ?

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle \int e^{bx}\cos cx \ dx = \frac{1}{b} e^{bx} ?
     \displaystyle \int f(x)g'(x)dx=f(x)g(x)-\int f'(x)g(x)dx$$

Let  g'(x) = e^{bx}
    And let  f(x) = cos(cx)

See what happens when you plug them in.

ReputationRep:
     \displaystyle \int f(x)g'(x)=f(x)g(x)-\int f'(x)g(x)$$

Let  g'(x) = e^{bx}
    And let  f(x) = cos(cx)

See what happens when you plug them in.
    I integrated by parts twice over but can only seem to get that far after recognising that the integral appears twice - I rearranged the expression to get a fraction of the integral on its own and then divided both sides by that fraction and that's what I've got?

ReputationRep:
    I integrated by parts twice over but can only seem to get that far after recognising that the integral appears twice - I rearranged the expression to get a fraction of the integral on its own and then divided both sides by that fraction and that's what I've got?
    Notnek said he's going for a while in a PM, so it looks like we've only got each other. Let's try to solve this by ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    First integration by parts:
     \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b} \int sin(cx)e^{bx}dx

Second integration by parts:
     \displaystyle \int sin(cx)e^{bx}dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}sin(cx) - \frac {c} {b} \int cos(cx)e^{bx}dx

Are we on the same page so far?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    First integration by parts:
     \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b} \int sin(cx)e^{bx}dx

Second integration by parts:
     \displaystyle \int sin(cx)e^{bx}dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}sin(cx) - \frac {c} {b} \int cos(cx)e^{bx}dx

Are we on the same page so far?
    Substitute for the integral using your second equation into the first equation.

You should end up with an equation that only contains the integral \int e^{bx} cos(cx) \ dx, which should appear twice.

By the way this integral is beyond A Level Maths i.e. wouldn't be in an exam.

ReputationRep:

You should end up with an equation that only contains the integral \int e^{bx} cos(cx) \ dx, which should appear twice.

Do you mean this?

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b} \left(\frac {1} {b} e^{bx}sin(cx) - \frac {c} {b} \int cos(cx)e^{bx}dx\right)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx) - \frac {c^2} {b^2} \int cos(cx)e^{bx}dx

\displaystyle \frac {c^2} {b^2} \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx + \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx)

Then we can factor out \displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx (\frac {c^2} {b^2} + 1) = \frac {1} {b} e^{bx}cos(cx) + \frac {c} {b^2}e^{bx}sin(cx)

And the final step is division and putting in a constant of integration:

\displaystyle \int e^{bx}cos(cx)dx=\frac{\frac{1}{b  }e^{bx}cos(cx)+\frac{c}{b^2}e^{b  x}sin(cx)}{\frac{c^2}{b^2}+1} + C

ReputationRep:

I THINK I FINALLY DID IT!!! See my previous reply with the spoiler tag.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.