Advice on how to pass biology A2 with AS

Watch
anonymous-97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i've just began A2 biology , having done awful in my as i am planning to resit with A2. Biology seems to be my weak point , any tips on how i can do some productive revision. I felt like i put so much effort in but i ended up with a D. It is possible if i resit my as with my A2 exams i am able to pull it up to a b ?
presiousrose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes it is very possible if done right. Make sure you understand all of the course material. Do the exercises from the textbook. And most importantly, DO EVERY PASTPAPER that you can get a hold of in timed conditions. Mark it strictly and I suggest annotate marking point on the paper that you missed out so that you can see what type of questions requires what kind of point/keywords to get maximum marks.
Flashcards are good way to revise, I've seen people put a question on one side and the answer on the other which makes them great to test yourself until the information is in your head.
NineTailedFox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonymous-97)
So i've just began A2 biology , having done awful in my as i am planning to resit with A2. Biology seems to be my weak point , any tips on how i can do some productive revision. I felt like i put so much effort in but i ended up with a D. It is possible if i resit my as with my A2 exams i am able to pull it up to a b ?

Past papers done properly under timed conditions. During AS, I rushed through them and ended up with a low C. Retook the exams alongside A2, did the papers seriously and ended up with all A's in the exams. (B overall due to ISAs :C)

The 5 mark questions often get repeated so if you can memorize them you can easily get all 15 marks.

Also resitting will help you so much with the unit 5 essay. Good luck.
anonymous-97
Rep:
?
(Original post by presiousrose)
Yes it is very possible if done right. Make sure you understand all of the course material. Do the exercises from the textbook. And most importantly, DO EVERY PASTPAPER that you can get a hold of in timed conditions. Mark it strictly and I suggest annotate marking point on the paper that you missed out so that you can see what type of questions requires what kind of point/keywords to get maximum marks.
Flashcards are good way to revise, I've seen people put a question on one side and the answer on the other which makes them great to test yourself until the information is in your head.
Thank you very much It just has knocked my confidence down but thank you again
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Start pastpapers for the AS modules early (including the ISA and EMPA ones ifyou are on AQA) around November to get it out of the way and to do A2 revision.

This website has a lot of pastpaper questions organaised by each topic which is extremly useful to do after revising a certain topic
http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/

I'd also suggest using quizlet, which you can find quizzes and flashcards made by other students (It honestly helped me A LOT).

Edit: also.learn how to structure the 5/6 markers, and ensure not to regurgitate certain points (best way is to attempt lots of them, underline certain keywords in the question and remember the points on mark scheme that is associated with them).
anonymous-97
Rep:
?
(Original post by NineTailedFox)
Past papers done properly under timed conditions. During AS, I rushed through them and ended up with a low C. Retook the exams alongside A2, did the papers seriously and ended up with all A's in the exams. (B overall due to ISAs :C)

The 5 mark questions often get repeated so if you can memorize them you can easily get all 15 marks.

Also resitting will help you so much with the unit 5 essay. Good luck.
Thank you so much. Everyone keeps telling me it is going to be extremely diffcult and my as results have knocked my confidence down. Thank you for the motivation and well done on your results
presiousrose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you very much It just has knocked my confidence down but thank you again
I've known people who have gone from C's to A's in biology at the end of A2 so you've got every chance if you do it right. Glad to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads