Turn on thread page Beta

Financing Access Course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I've been looking at doing an Access Course this year and have been offered a place, last minute, starting next week. I have to enrol as soon as possible in order to secure my place but I'm unsure how I can finance it. I originally applied to another college to do a different Access and GCSE which I could afford, as they had different support funds available and could guarantee I would be offered support. However I've since been offered this course and I feel this will get me in a better position sooner as I would be doing a single subject, I think I'm good at.

I've already had to resign from my job as I work full time and the course was 2 1/2 days a week and they were unable to move my hours or keep me part time. I will hopefully be able to do ad hoc hours but that isn't certain.

I've since been informed by the college (they have take a while to look into options) that they can't necessarily secure any funds for me and I'd have to wait until October when they decide if I'm approved. I could leave the course if it isn't approved but this wouldn't be an option as I'd be unemployed with no course.

I live at home but my parent earns more than the College's support fund target aim and my job is also over the limit until a week's time. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can do? I've considered registering for JSA but I would need to provide a letter at enrolment and I'm not unemployed until a week's time.

Hope someone can offer advice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean to finance the course or finance your living costs while attending?

On the former there are things like the 24+ learning loan for those without level 3 qualifications. Also colleges have some bursary funds though I understand these are quite limited and only rally cover travel costs and child care.

I think some banks might be able to help with a student account which could offer some interest free overdraft?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you'd be eligible for JSA, you'd need to be looking for jobs and willing to drop out of your access course if you found one. Also, I think you can't get JSA for a certain period of time after you've quit a job.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to get a loan from the bank, I'm looking at options to fund the course at the moment.

I left my job as the College I was originally going to, had guaranteed to fund my place and therefore I didn't have any concerns. However I've since had to change courses as the extra Maths would cause me to loose too much money in living expenses by using up another day I could be working (it was going to be the evening) and the College also said 2 weeks ago, funding would be for half the cost only now.

Do JSA write to previous employers? Would I actually need a letter from JSA or would a reference number be ok?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.