Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I need naps every day? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've needed a 1-2 hour nap every afternoon for a while, even after getting between 6-9 hours sleep a night.

I used to have short naps whilst at uni, probably due to lack of exercise/bad diet/late nights but now I'm eating well, exercising most days and getting lots of sleep and water.

What do you reckon is wrong?

Inb4 'go to the doctors': I have to wait until I have two forms of evidence that I live at my address before I can register at a doctors here. They basically need a utility bill and a tenancy agreement and we haven't had any bills yet (I know, so annoying) as we have been here for 2 weeks.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you be diabetic - is there any history of diabetes in your family?

I used to suffer the same problem as you - turned out that I was diabetic so best to get it checked out ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Could you be diabetic - is there any history of diabetes in your family?

I used to suffer the same problem as you - turned out that I was diabetic so best to get it checked out ASAP.
    No history at all, and I don't have any other symptoms of it (I first thought about diabetes too lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I take naps every day, naps are great. Maybe narcolepsy?

(Original post by holson)
    No history at all, and I don't have any other symptoms of it (I first thought about diabetes too lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK fair enough - in that case maybe low iron levels?
    Or under-active thyroid?

ReputationRep:
    You should only nap for 10 minutes a day or unless you have had long day, then give yourself/reward yourself 30 mins anything more will make you sluggish and interfere with sleep. Naps is seen as bad, abnormal and sign of weakness/weaklin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK fair enough - in that case maybe low iron levels?
    Or under-active thyroid?
    Maybe iron i guess. I have thyroid issues but I'm medicated now so shouldn't be affecting me anymore :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i have this issue sometimes, i put it down to not having a job and therefore eventually ending up having done everything possible in a day and just sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I have low iron levels, and can often get tired enough to need naps. If they suspect this, your GP will probably put you down to have blood taken, which they may test for different things, anaemia, thyroid etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissML)
    I have low iron levels, and can often get tired enough to need naps. If they suspect this, your GP will probably put you down to have blood taken, which they may test for different things, anaemia, thyroid etc.
    It might be my thyroid meds not working as they should. I hare having blood taken because I have tiny, deep veins and it always takes 5 nurses and 20 mins to get any hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest thyroid, but then you're treating that. I'd say it's definitely worth getting re-checked to check the meds are getting you back to the right level.

Also, hard to find veins are a pain, my wife has that problem (and thyroid issues).

(Original post by holson)
    It might be my thyroid meds not working as they should. I hare having blood taken because I have tiny, deep veins and it always takes 5 nurses and 20 mins to get any hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have iodized salt to supplement your thyroid meds.

Also in case it's low iron, increase the amount of spinach and red meat (not too much) in your diet. Unless you're vegetarian in which case have a lot more spinach.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I have the same problem. I was warned some months ago that the medication I'm on, causes sleep issues. If I take it in the morning, I need an afternoon nap. If I take it at night, I get insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    As some other people have suggested, low iron levels could be the cause. Alternatively, try and lower morning caffeine levels, and try not to eat too many carbohydrates in the late morning/lunchtime - my own personal experience has shown that the above combination would leave me desperate to nap around 3/4pm.

ReputationRep:
    Narcolepsy isn't a likely diagnosis tbh, however it is possible that you do have something going on that means that the sleep you are getting at night is less restful than for other people. Stuff like obstructive sleep apnoea or periodic limb movements. As other people have said it could be linked to deficiencies in your diet or stuff like diabetes.

It could also be nothing, you say you took these naps at uni, it's possible that you're just used to it now and finding it hard to kick the habit.

I'm really surprised that your GP surgery requires proof of address before they will see you I've never had that issue, but once they do see you it's likely that they'll want to do a fasting blood test so try not to have anything orally other than water for 12 hours before your appointment so they can do it on the same day and you don't need to get another date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    Narcolepsy isn't a likely diagnosis tbh, however it is possible that you do have something going on that means that the sleep you are getting at night is less restful than for other people. Stuff like obstructive sleep apnoea or periodic limb movements. As other people have said it could be linked to deficiencies in your diet or stuff like diabetes.

It could also be nothing, you say you took these naps at uni, it's possible that you're just used to it now and finding it hard to kick the habit.

I'm really surprised that your GP surgery requires proof of address before they will see you I've never had that issue, but once they do see you it's likely that they'll want to do a fasting blood test so try not to have anything orally other than water for 12 hours before your appointment so they can do it on the same day and you don't need to get another date.
    That was in my first year of uni (two years ago) and I left 9 months ago so I don't think it would be habit - it's a fairly recent development this time!

My OH hasn't noticed any changes in my sleeping (he couldn't sleep the other night and basically watched me sleep all night, the lil creep.

I could register as a temp patient but it lasts three months so thought I'd wait a couple weeks so I can just register normally.

I'm gonna get more iron into my system and see if it makes any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you take your meds in the morning? On an empty stomach? Its quite normal to feel tired in the afternoon, but you will have to grow up and resist it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentGod168)
    Do you take your meds in the morning? On an empty stomach? Its quite normal to feel tired in the afternoon, but you will have to grow up and resist it.
    I take them after breakfast (so not an empty stomach, but not really full either).

"Grow up" - I feel so tired that I literally can't move. It's not just feeling tired, I physically HAVE to sleep in order to be able to function again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to take them before food to maximise absorption. I dont know why they are not on the instructions, but its in the leaflet. Preferably 30 mins before food, and not with any caffeine products. Get checked for anaemia. Heavy periods? Different types of anaemia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentGod168)
    You need to take them before food to maximise absorption. I dont know why they are not on the instructions, but its in the leaflet. Preferably 30 mins before food, and not with any caffeine products. Get checked for anaemia. Heavy periods? Different types of anaemia.
    My doctor told me to take them with breakfast, lunch or dinner...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.