Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok here is the deal!
    Welcome week is on 19th of this month! I wanted to know about extensions on my 18+ student oyster card. I will be adding a weekly travelcard of zone 1-6 to travel within London but what happens after Feltham? Can i get an extension to egham or not. I will be travelling daily.
    If i can get an extension thats fine. I will go by train but i am not bothering to make a railcard and then buying a discounted ticket+ weekly oyster card!
    Alternative route i have found is that, go to feltham on your oyster. Get 117 to Staines (on oyster) , from staines bus station you can get 71 bus to Egham RHUL. I can make a weekly ticket of that bus costing me 13 quids.
    But all i wanted to know that if i can get an extension on my travelcard 1-6 to egham in southwest trains..that would be awesome! Otherwise i am better off in busses!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Bump, same situation here. I'll be travelling daily from South West London to Egham. I've asked at the train station today and got the following:
    Egham - zones 3-6 (including buses and tubes) is £233.10 monthly and £60.70 weekly, seems like a lot but hey, whats the maintenance loan/grant for? I'm still getting my head around how its going to work. Buses are definitely a time waste, especially during rush hour.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what I used to do but there were a few commuters on my course and the ones I knew used to take the Reading train from Waterloo to Egham. The bus system is OK in the area but I remember that during the winter months it became horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    Oyster isn't supported beyond Feltham, so I can't imagine it's possible to get an extension to any ticket on your card.

Not sure I'd like to go by bus from Feltham - it takes nearly 2-3 times longer than staying on the train would and doesn't run as late either.

ReputationRep:
    Guys! I used to commute from London to Egham, but I found a way to cut costs. If you get a regular zone 1-3 travelcard (on your student oyster that gives you 1/3 off travelcards) and then get a "boundary zone 3 to Egham" ticket (they don't advertise these) with your discount railcard, you can cut costs. Then its just £1 for the RHUL bus that goes from Egham station to the campus - They have been quite efficient when it comes to them being in sync with the train times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2015

University open days

1. Royal Holloway University of London
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  2. Royal Holloway University of London
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.