Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at IGCSE and I don't know if I should do it at AS. The other subjects I'm taking are Computer Science, Psychology, Physics and Music Technology (I would replace this with Maths). I am wanting to do Computer Science at uni and I know most uni require maths but I don't feel confident enough to do it at AS and definitely not A2.

Do you think I will be able to do well at AS with an A at IGCSE?

ReputationRep:
    I did maths at last year at AS level, and the step up was huge. If you think you can do it, then go for it because it is a great A-level to have, but you do have to be prepared to put in a lot of work if you're struggling. I got an A at GCSE but I failed maths this year because I was so nervous and not confident at all, despite doing all past papers and getting C's and B's. I don't know if your school/college will do this, but my school gave you two weeks to try the course and if you didn't enjoy it, you could switch courses. It might be a good idea to consider doing that because you get a taste for what the course is like, but at the same time, if you hate it you aren't tied to it for the year. Good luck with your A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreatorGal14)
    I did maths at last year at AS level, and the step up was huge. If you think you can do it, then go for it because it is a great A-level to have, but you do have to be prepared to put in a lot of work if you're struggling. I got an A at GCSE but I failed maths this year because I was so nervous and not confident at all, despite doing all past papers and getting C's and B's. I don't know if your school/college will do this, but my school gave you two weeks to try the course and if you didn't enjoy it, you could switch courses. It might be a good idea to consider doing that because you get a taste for what the course is like, but at the same time, if you hate it you aren't tied to it for the year. Good luck with your A-levels!
    This is good advice. The jump is huge but if you are dedicated and work hard it is extremely worth it and valuable to have. It makes GCSE look easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoshi)
    I got an A at IGCSE and I don't know if I should do it at AS. The other subjects I'm taking are Computer Science, Psychology, Physics and Music Technology (I would replace this with Maths). I am wanting to do Computer Science at uni and I know most uni require maths but I don't feel confident enough to do it at AS and definitely not A2.

Do you think I will be able to do well at AS with an A at IGCSE?
    I've done AS maths and music tech, and actually found music tech much harder. Not having A-level maths will be a disadvantage, especially for computer science. As someone else has suggested, you should try it for a couple of weeks; you might find that you like it

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an A at IGCSE Maths (I got an A*) and then he got an A* at A-Level Edexcel (I got an A). Its really up to how much work you are willing to put in. We both got Bs at AS Level. So it's definitely possible no doubt about that.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.