Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I applied for Economics at Cambridge last year but was pooled and then rejected, I think due to a fairly poor interview (I struggled with some of the maths) and a not super high UMS average (I think it was just over 93). I have since turned down a place to study Economics at UCL as I have decided that the subject isn't really for me and am now taking a gap year. I am considering applying to either Oxford or Cambridge to study History but have yet to totally decide which one.

Obviously it won't be the only deciding factor, as the course and the place itself are important considerations, but with the following grades do you think I have a significantly better chance of getting into one of the universities versus the other?

A Levels (Think this gives me best 3 average of 95.4, correct me if wrong):
    History - 392/400
    Economics - 389/400
    Further Maths - 555/600
    Maths - 543/600

GCSEs - 12A*s including History,Maths, English, Spanish & German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marekzs)
    Hi,
    I applied for Economics at Cambridge last year but was pooled and then rejected, I think due to a fairly poor interview (I struggled with some of the maths) and a not super high UMS average (I think it was just over 93). I have since turned down a place to study Economics at UCL as I have decided that the subject isn't really for me and am now taking a gap year. I am considering applying to either Oxford or Cambridge to study History but have yet to totally decide which one.

Obviously it won't be the only deciding factor, as the course and the place itself are important considerations, but with the following grades do you think I have a significantly better chance of getting into one of the universities versus the other?

History - 392/400
    Economics - 389/400
    Further Maths - 555/600
    Maths - 543/600

Don't know much about Oxford application, so only for Cambridge one....
    These grades/UMS are definitely strong enough to be invited to interview by Cambridge and good enough to be auto-pooled even if a college you're applying cannot take you but think you're good enough for the standard of Cambridge History degree.
    But as you know, it's not all grades/UMS they look at, especially if you're applying for a different course from the one you're originally rejected (and also turned down the same Economic place at another uni). They'd really want to make sure you have genuine interest and passion in History and would want to know what and how you're/have been doing during a gap year to explore subject to enhance your knowledge, etc. I think this part of application would be more crucial for you than other applicants who're applying in a more typical fashion.
    But as long as you have very good super-curricular (though it's not quite 'curricular' as you're not at school already...) to convince them (in other words, so that they'll know you're not switching the subject just to 'get into Cambridge') and perform well enough at interview, I think you'll have a fair chance in getting an offer from Cambridge.

In short, your A2 grades/UMS probably won't be an issue. What's more important is other aspects of your application this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marekzs)
    Hi,

History - 392/400
    Economics - 389/400
    Further Maths - 555/600
    Maths - 543/600

Your grades are fine for History at Oxford.

However, the elements of your application that matter most are the HAT and the interviews. Ultimately these will determine whether or not you are offered a place.

If you have any questions about the course let me know (I'm a second year History student at Ox)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.