Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to Uni - Mentioning Mental Health? watch

I'm applying for uni this year and I'm wondering whether/how I make universities aware of my current mental health situation. I currently suffer from severe depression which has caused me to spend time in hospital as well as miss loads of college. I came out with 4 A's at AS but I'm not sure whether I need to do anything on UCAS to let them know when I apply. I selected that I have depression under some disability/health thing on UCAS but is that all I need to do?

Also, I'm applying to Cambridge (although I'm not confident I'll get in) and apparently I have to fill in a separate extenuating circumstances form. I think it has to be filled in by someone at my college, but how much needs to be mentioned on it? I struggled to even talk about it with my previous counsellor so I'm not sure if I want everything about my mental health there for Cambridge to see.

ReputationRep:
    I just ticked the disability box on my UCAS form- my university actually invited me to go up and spend some time there and meet the student support team before I started. They were really helpful and told me about DSA (which I didnt know anything about) which I was entitled to. I was really nervous about declaring it and thought I'd be rejected straight away if they knew but they have been very supportive and I am glad I told them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you ticked that box you might be contacted by the uni nearer the time to see how they can help you, I'm not sure about this though. When you apply for student finance make sure you also apply for DSA (or afterwards) as this can really help people, also tell the uni as much as possible about your situation when you know where you're going and hopefully get some support in place before you start. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.