Turn on thread page Beta

History vs ancient History? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need some advice and thoughts on whether to do History or ancientHistory. I have always been set on History or classics but I now find that ancient history is extremely attractive. In terms of my personal statement drafts it'll be extremely easy to convert certain lines to match ancient and I also like how all of my current desires unis do the course with a lower entry requirements. My only concern is employment, I aspire to be a teacher/lecturer and do research but I'm worried that doing this specific type of history will limit employment!

ReputationRep:
    I did ancient history at uni and I'm applying to do PGCE in Latin and Classics so you can still be a teacher with an ancient history degree but you'd need to make sure you take at least Latin.

For history PGCEs, at least 50% of your degree needs to be history. I'm not sure if ancient history would count for this as I haven't asked.

If you're still wanting to do history too, how about ancient history and history at uni? Several universities offer it.

As for doing research and being a lecturer at uni, you'd need to do a BA, MA, and PhD. Competition is stiff for jobs in both history and classics and as it will require a minimum of 7 years to get there you need to think about how much you want to do it. For ancient history, from MA level onwards, it is compulsory to have at least one of Latin or Greek. And from what I've heard you may well have to learn a relevant language for history postgrad too.

I originally thought that's what I'd like to do but I'm now half way through my MA and know that I don't want to do a PhD any time soon. Maybe in a decade or so but right now I am sick of research and writing and uni in general!

So no, switching to ancient history over history won't limit your employability but just be aware that you'll have to work hard whichever course you do because the area you want to go in to is competitive. That doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you need to apply yourself and make sure that you make connections in your department to get good references etc.

ReputationRep:
    Many uni's also offer a Ancient and Modern History course (or variations on that) if you're struggling to choose! Use the UCAS Course Search tool for help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.