Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am an A2 student and I am applying to university for a deferred entry (gap year), I have mentioned on my personal statement that I want to do a gap year to do extra study and self-teach Further Maths A-Level. However I dont know if and where I have to put this on UCAS? And will my offers depend on my FM grade that I won't get until August 2017? I don't understand if I will have a guaranteed space at a university by the time I get my A2 results or do I have to wait an extra year for my FM grade :/. Also how do I put on UCAS that I want to take a gap year, do I just mention it in my personal statement? Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ben4)
    Hello. I am an A2 student and I am applying to university for a deferred entry (gap year), I have mentioned on my personal statement that I want to do a gap year to do extra study and self-teach Further Maths A-Level. However I dont know if and where I have to put this on UCAS? And will my offers depend on my FM grade that I won't get until August 2017? I don't understand if I will have a guaranteed space at a university by the time I get my A2 results or do I have to wait an extra year for my FM grade :/. Also how do I put on UCAS that I want to take a gap year, do I just mention it in my personal statement? Thanks.
    You can't put it on UCAS until you've entered for the qualification, and you can't do that this early. You won't be able to use it to count towards offers so you need to ensure that your other grades will meet their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You can't put it on UCAS until you've entered for the qualification, and you can't do that this early. You won't be able to use it to count towards offers so you need to ensure that your other grades will meet their entry requirements.
    Ohh okay, so can I just mention it in my personal statement and thats it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ben4)
    Ohh okay, so can I just mention it in my personal statement and thats it?
    Yes, but consider why you're putting it there. You need to think about why this will help with the uni course - they're not just going to be impressed easily. It does depend what the uni course is as to how it can help, but you can use it to show your dedication to the subject, or some personal/study skills. You can't just put "I'm going to do this" and move on. You could say "I love maths, so to show I love maths, I decided to do this" (or "I love statistics, so decided to take this further by...") or "working on my own will improve my organisation skills".

Basically, give the information a reason to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Yes, but consider why you're putting it there. You need to think about why this will help with the uni course - they're not just going to be impressed easily. It does depend what the uni course is as to how it can help, but you can use it to show your dedication to the subject, or some personal/study skills. You can't just put "I'm going to do this" and move on. You could say "I love maths, so to show I love maths, I decided to do this" (or "I love statistics, so decided to take this further by...") or "working on my own will improve my organisation skills".

Basically, give the information a reason to be there.
    Thank you, I think I have done that in my statement but will look over it to see if I can word it any better 😊

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.