Turn on thread page Beta

Punishment ideas? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to learn self discipline because I have lots ahead this year to do and I am determined not to do what I did last year. I need to get A's and I also need to work really hard. But I'm an idiot and have already start procrastinating the whole of these 2 days (was meant to write a personal statement). So obviously If I am doing it now then I am going to do it later on with my A levels which I am terrified about. I have noted down in a diary that I have wasted the 5th and majority of the 6th of September. But I need punishment ideas for when I procrastinate?? Help?

I have gone cold turkey on my TV series and its just pointless internet browsing that has got me wasting time.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No Internet access for 6 hours for every hour that you procrastinate.

Ultimately, you're the only one who can motivate yourself not only to do the work, but also to commit to the punishment. It's entirely in your hands.

ReputationRep:
    Whip yourself or get a family member to give you a few lashes.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl when I saw this thread I thought it was gonna be BDSM related #kinksterproblems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)

Ultimately, you're the only one who can motivate yourself not only to do the work, but also to commit to the punishment. It's entirely in your hands.
    I like this one

but yes im terrible at self control etc

ReputationRep:
    get an elastic band ans put it round your hand everytime you feel yourself losing focus stretch it and let it hit your hand
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Maybe put 50p into a jar for every 30 minutes you procrastinate, and if there's anything in it take out 50p for every hour you work and donate what's left at the end to charity.

ReputationRep:
    If self control is your problem self-imposed punishments aren't going to work. You're just going to ignore them completely. Look at it this way, if you procrastinate on doing something simple (so find doing the task difficult) why would you voluntarily accept an even tougher task to endure?

If you want actual self-control then you'll need to start changing your habits and your surroundings. So start with only aiming to work for 5 minutes and using stayfocusd (chrome) to block time wasting websites. If you try to circumvent that too, just start working without the internet.

Keep in mind, your willpower is limited and will just diminish throughout the day so get your work done closer to when you wake up so you can make yourself do work instead of succumbing to distractions as soon as you see them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    Whip yourself or get a family member to give you a few lashes.
    this

ReputationRep:
    punishment isn't the answer

you need to find intrinsic positive reinforcement
    i.e. why do you love your studies, and why do you want to succeed

I was super intrinsicly motivated at the start of A2, and I had this almost unwavering force of motivation throughout the entire year where I made revision notes on most days, or did some form of work

ReputationRep:
    Restricting yourself from the internet or gadgets is a good idea or blocking certain websites. Asking your parents to hide your PS3, Xbox etc.
    I think aiming to spend time in the library in an environment similar to a Sixth Form/College library is a good idea to help you work on your studying technique can help./

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    If self control is your problem self-imposed punishments aren't going to work. You're just going to ignore them completely. Look at it this way, if you procrastinate on doing something simple (so find doing the task difficult) why would you voluntarily accept an even tougher task to endure?

If you want actual self-control then you'll need to start changing your habits and your surroundings. So start with only aiming to work for 5 minutes and using stayfocusd (chrome) to block time wasting websites. If you try to circumvent that too, just start working without the internet.

Keep in mind, your willpower is limited and will just diminish throughout the day so get your work done closer to when you wake up so you can make yourself do work instead of succumbing to distractions as soon as you see them.
    please help me. you seem to know what ur talking about. how do i change my habits and surroundings? how do i become the best studier ever? please i need help or else im going to fail again!!!!

blocking websites never works. i only spend hours unblocking them again etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    punishment isn't the answer

you need to find intrinsic positive reinforcement
    i.e. why do you love your studies, and why do you want to succeed

I was super intrinsicly motivated at the start of A2, and I had this almost unwavering force of motivation throughout the entire year where I made revision notes on most days, or did some form of work
    sometimes i get these little spurts of motivation but I spent that time PLANNING what i was gonna do and now the motivation is gone and i dont know how to get it back

(Original post by Niyi Aderounmu)
    Restricting yourself from the internet or gadgets is a good idea or blocking certain websites. Asking your parents to hide your PS3, Xbox etc.
    I think aiming to spend time in the library in an environment similar to a Sixth Form/College library is a good idea to help you work on your studying technique can help./
    i dont really have gadgets and studying anywhere other than my room makes me feel uncomfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)

This is callous

I like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    please help me. you seem to know what ur talking about. how do i change my habits and surroundings? how do i become the best studier ever? please i need help or else im going to fail again!!!!

blocking websites never works. i only spend hours unblocking them again etc
    Blocking sites will help eventually but that isn't your biggest problem at the moment.

The way you change your habits is slowly and through deliberate effort. To make it easier, you change your surroundings first.

So think about the distractions you have in your room. The internet and your phone are probably the biggest ones. You don't need your phone to study and you don't have to talk to your friends about it either. Turn it off and give it to someone else for 1 hour. You can also turn off the internet since it's unlikely you need that to study either (books are fine).

If you do need the internet, I still recommend downloading Stayfocusd. Every time you notice yourself wanting to waste time or circumvent the blocking, make a mental note, say 'I have work to do' and get back to work. It's important to don't give into it straight away because at the beginning you'll be doing that a lot. Over time, it'll become more automatic and you won't even need to block sites any more (it takes some time but I got to that stage at one point with practise).

In order to break the procrastination you're doing, you need to remember to do 2 things.

1. Start small - don't think about working for 5 hours straight or writing an essay in one sitting. Aim to work for only 2 minutes. That's it. It sounds easy because it should be. If you think about doing difficult things, it'll always be tougher to get started.

2. "It'll be better after I start" - it closely relates to the first point. A lot of procrastination is down to fear of discomfort. It's unneeded. You'll be fine once you get started. Have you ever gone on a run or done any exercise and realised it wasn't as bad as you thought it was? That's what'll happen when you stop procrastinating.

I wrote something more specific about studying a short time a go. Here it is.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I write about similar stuff on my blog so I'm fine to talk about it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.