The Student Room Group

URGENT: Are these subjects good enough for university or should I switch?

I want to study Psychology at university.
I'm just at the start of alevels and had picked English Literature, Sociology, Psychology and Economics. HOWEVER, after just 3 hours of Economics I had realised that it wasn't for me. I felt uninterested and in general, mathematics is not my strong point so I was at a MAJOR disadvantage in class (stuck not knowing anything whilst the rest of the class zoomed on past me) and struggled doing homework .

I am thinking of changing my Alevels to English Literature, Sociology, Psychology and POLITICS. My reasoning for this is I had realised how much I truly love the subject.

I realise now that i had only really picked Economics for there to be some sort of variation in my subjects (involving some maths etc) but in reality, I don't think I would get a very good grade at it as it just doesn't interest me as much as politics.

My problem is, I feel that if I switch to Politics, I will have 4 essay subjects (even though Econ is part essay based) but I am thinking that maybe I won't stand out as much on a uni applicaiton? Especially as I know that sociology isn't the most prestigious subject. But if I continue with Econ, I could end up with a very bad grade. Essay based subjects are my best and have always been my best so any other subject would be out of the question Would it be better to get 4 A's in 4 essay based subjects that I genuinely have an interest for, than a C/B in economics that I don't?! Should I switch to politics?
Reply 1
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I want to study Psychology at university.
I'm just at the start of alevels and had picked English Literature, Sociology, Psychology and Economics. HOWEVER, after just 3 hours of Economics I had realised that it wasn't for me. I felt uninterested and in general, mathematics is not my strong point so I was at a MAJOR disadvantage in class (stuck not knowing anything whilst the rest of the class zoomed on past me) and struggled doing homework .

I am thinking of changing my Alevels to English Literature, Sociology, Psychology and POLITICS. My reasoning for this is I had realised how much I truly love the subject.

I realise now that i had only really picked Economics for there to be some sort of variation in my subjects (involving some maths etc) but in reality, I don't think I would get a very good grade at it as it just doesn't interest me as much as politics.

My problem is, I feel that if I switch to Politics, I will have 4 essay subjects (even though Econ is part essay based) but I am thinking that maybe I won't stand out as much on a uni applicaiton? Especially as I know that sociology isn't the most prestigious subject. But if I continue with Econ, I could end up with a very bad grade. Essay based subjects are my best and have always been my best so any other subject would be out of the question Would it be better to get 4 A's in 4 essay based subjects that I genuinely have an interest for, than a C/B in economics that I don't?! Should I switch to politics?

Have a look on whats uni, it tells you what the main subjects previous students took to get on the course- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/

Quick Reply

Latest