Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just started my UCAS form (as an international student, so I said I'm applying independently). I'm going for English and French, so I had assumed I would need reference letters from an English teacher and a French teacher, but there is only room for one reference. Should I just pick the teacher I think will write the best letter, or is there something I'm missing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryEliot)
    I just started my UCAS form (as an international student, so I said I'm applying independently). I'm going for English and French, so I had assumed I would need reference letters from an English teacher and a French teacher, but there is only room for one reference. Should I just pick the teacher I think will write the best letter, or is there something I'm missing?
    You only get one reference but it can be a combination of things from more than one teacher.

ReputationRep:
    You only get one reference for all the universities you're applying to, so every uni will see the same reference written by one of your teachers. You'll have to fill in their info in UCAS and then click on the button that sends them an email with instructions on how to complete the reference on UCAS.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mine was a combination from 6 different teachers. It doesn't have to be just one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Mine was a combination from 6 different teachers. It doesn't have to be just one.
    Why did you need 6 different teachers? And technically speaking, how did you get the UCAS reference form to so many people?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Why did you need 6 different teachers? And technically speaking, how did you get the UCAS reference form to so many people?
    Generally you'll have one person compiling your reference (e.g. Head of Sixth Form) who will ask for references from teachers and will put it together.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It was standard school policy to give each of your teachers one sentence. I did five subjects and had one form tutor. (For many of them it was actually pre-written and they gave the same reference to everyone, which included comments on 'behaviour' and 'attendance').

That may not be the way it works for you but the point is: it does not have to be one person.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I still haven't sorted it all out, though. Do all of you have firsthand experience with Oxford specifically?

I have already asked my English teacher to write a reference, and she is happy to do it. I haven't asked him, but I think my French teacher would portray me in a positive light. However, his moderately praiseful letter could actually detract from the glowing reference I imagine my English teacher would give, in the eyes of admissions tutors. Thoughts?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.