Turn on thread page Beta

Best University for a History and Politics Course, in my situation... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone, this is my first post on The Student Room so go easy on me!

I know you probably get questions like this a lot, but my situation is as follows:

I'm just about to start the A2 part of A-Levels on Tuesday, after receiving dismal AS Level results, far lower than predicted by staff at my school. At AS Level I was taking: History, English Literature, BTEC Applied Law, and I was also self-teaching Psychology as it did not fit the school timetable. Predicted at As and Bs I came out with an E in Psychology, C in English, and a D in History at AS Level. This year I have decided to carry on History to A2, whilst also retaking AS alongside it, carry on English Literature and BTEC Law, and drop Psychology. I am also 3000 words into completing an Extended Project Qualification comprising elements of Psychology, Politics and History (mainly the latter), and I am also going to be taking Government and Politics as an AS Level.

So my question to you all is this: What do you think the best Unis I should apply to for a History and Politics course are? I live in the North West of England, which is why the University of Manchester appealed to me greatly, but I have yet to go to an open day. I have also looked at Edge Hill, Lancaster, and have been on residentials to Cambridge and Oxford in the past (Although I personally preferred Oxford out of the two, due to its proximity to museums).

I personally think that I have enough experience for both the History and Politics sides when it comes to the Personal Statement work: I have visited historical sites in Germany (Saschenhaussen), Poland (Auschwitz), Mexico (Tulum), and Capri (Tiberius' Villa) to name a few, and have applied to become a Local History Research Assistant (Volunteer work); I have volunteered, campaigned with and have a reference from my Local MP, I have a reference from the Local Mayor for the work I have done with Youth Forums and Youth Parliament, and I am running for Youth MP next year.

Sorry for the wall of text but, with all this said and done- what Universities do you all recommend for someone in my situation? I have no real preference over City, Campus or Collegiate Unis either which only makes it harder for me to narrow them down!

Thank You All!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I also achieved around 2As, 6Bs, 2Cs, a D at AS Level Critical Thinking, and a BTEC Distinction while in Secondary School!

ReputationRep:
    What did you get in Applied Law? and what are you predictions for English and History?

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted Distinction in Applied Law (its a subsidiary diploma done over 2 years), I was predicted A for History and B/C for English at AS- I haven't received the latest predictions yet as I have not started A2.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think we can disregard the residentials because you ain't going to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I think we know that Callum, not exactly helpful is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravisFrain)

I know you probably get questions like this a lot, but my situation is as follows:

I'm just about to start the A2 part of A-Levels on Tuesday, after receiving dismal AS Level results, far lower than predicted by staff at my school. At AS Level I was taking: History, English Literature, BTEC Applied Law, and I was also self-teaching Psychology as it did not fit the school timetable. Predicted at As and Bs I came out with an E in Psychology, C in English, and a D in History at AS Level. This year I have decided to carry on History to A2, whilst also retaking AS alongside it, carry on English Literature and BTEC Law, and drop Psychology. I am also 3000 words into completing an Extended Project Qualification comprising elements of Psychology, Politics and History (mainly the latter), and I am also going to be taking Government and Politics as an AS Level.

So my question to you all is this: What do you think the best Unis I should apply to for a History and Politics course are? I live in the North West of England, which is why the University of Manchester appealed to me greatly, but I have yet to go to an open day. I have also looked at Edge Hill, Lancaster, and have been on residentials to Cambridge and Oxford in the past (Although I personally preferred Oxford out of the two, due to its proximity to museums).

I personally think that I have enough experience for both the History and Politics sides when it comes to the Personal Statement work: I have visited historical sites in Germany (Saschenhaussen), Poland (Auschwitz), Mexico (Tulum), and Capri (Tiberius' Villa) to name a few, and have applied to become a Local History Research Assistant (Volunteer work); I have volunteered, campaigned with and have a reference from my Local MP, I have a reference from the Local Mayor for the work I have done with Youth Forums and Youth Parliament, and I am running for Youth MP next year.

Sorry for the wall of text but, with all this said and done- what Universities do you all recommend for someone in my situation? I have no real preference over City, Campus or Collegiate Unis either which only makes it harder for me to narrow them down!

Thank You All!!!
    While you can apply for 2016 entry, I doubt you will get offers from good universities given what you have achieved so far. A better strategy would be to focus on the mountain of work facing you this year, take a gap year and apply for 2017 with much more impressive grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravisFrain)

Thank You All!!!
    At university level because History and Politics is an academic subject, grades trumph work experience. Your work experience, although impressive, doesn't make up for your grades. You would need to email unis and see if they will accept Btec law instead of a third full A2 and if so what grade they would want from it, then choose unis based on entry requirements. Manchester and Lancaster are likely to be too ambitious I'm afraid, maybe Edge Hill or Chester or Cumbria might be more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    Okay Thank You All for your replies, I shall look into it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.