Turn on thread page Beta

I am thinking about dropping out of postgrad and i am very upset watch

Posting anon because i feel very ashamed,

It began first with me finally graduating Undergrad, I felt i had a very good time at university, made some good friends and had some good times, passed with a 2.1 in a respectable field. I began to apply for many intern ships and was bounced back. I had originally never thought i would apply to postgraduate but i thought i would love the course i was on and really enjoyed the topic, felt it would offer me great career prospects and many more opportunities.

I have finally got here and before actually starting the course (i am in orientation week) i have felt very upset to leave my family and friends behind, it is a 400 mile distance away and not something i can trip back before holidays, i am feeling very drained and lonely and it has only been 24 hours. I have met with people on the course and spoke and got on with them, i have found people generally friendly and pleasant, but i do not feel i belong here. I also have started to read the reading lists and such and i feel very overwhelmed and scared by the workload. I really miss my parents and life already and feel very lonely. I feel that if i drop out though i will have wasted the stock i have put in, it will dent my confidence and i will feel that i have let everybody down, my family keep telling me how proud they are that i was the first one to do postgrad and now i feel i have no choice but to soldier on but i feel so drained already.. i really don't know what to do i am on the verge of tears. I really just need some friendly advice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Posting anon because i feel very ashamed,

It began first with me finally graduating Undergrad, I felt i had a very good time at university, made some good friends and had some good times, passed with a 2.1 in a respectable field. I began to apply for many intern ships and was bounced back. I had originally never thought i would apply to postgraduate but i thought i would love the course i was on and really enjoyed the topic, felt it would offer me great career prospects and many more opportunities.

I have finally got here and before actually starting the course (i am in orientation week) i have felt very upset to leave my family and friends behind, it is a 400 mile distance away and not something i can trip back before holidays, i am feeling very drained and lonely and it has only been 24 hours. I have met with people on the course and spoke and got on with them, i have found people generally friendly and pleasant, but i do not feel i belong here. I also have started to read the reading lists and such and i feel very overwhelmed and scared by the workload. I really miss my parents and life already and feel very lonely. I feel that if i drop out though i will have wasted the stock i have put in, it will dent my confidence and i will feel that i have let everybody down, my family keep telling me how proud they are that i was the first one to do postgrad and now i feel i have no choice but to soldier on but i feel so drained already.. i really don't know what to do i am on the verge of tears. I really just need some friendly advice...
    Is it possible that one of your parents can come and stay with you till you get sorted?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do anything about that feeling yet! Just let yourself settle down to a routine and get used to the course, the people around you and the place you live in. Give yourself a month or so and then if you still feel lonely and out of place then think about dropping out but I bet you'll find that you've got good friends and are enjoying the course! You've every right to feel lonely at the moment, you're in a new place with nobody you know but it'll change, don't you worry!

(Original post by PurpleGhost25175)
    Is it possible that one of your parents can come and stay with you till you get sorted?
    no thats completely out of the question, i wouldn't want that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    no thats completely out of the question, i wouldn't want that
    Ok in that case then you should see the student support services. I am sure they can help. You can skype your parents as well but I suppose its not the same as seeing them in real life.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'd say give it some time before you make a decision- I am moving to start a postgrad course myself soon and am worried about moving to a new place where I will not know anyone.

If you give yourself some time to get adjusted to your new surroundings it will most likely get better!

ReputationRep:
    Hi the postgrad is one year only? I'm sure if you gave it a few more weeks you will get used to everything and as it's one year it will fly by so please stick with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.