Turn on thread page Beta

Should i retake AS modules to try and guarantee an A overall in economics? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got 74 UMS (B) in unit 1 (Micro) and 77 UMS (B) in unit 2 (Macro). I know i could've got an A easily but i know i took revision too relaxed and i was over-confident in myself so when it came to the actual exam, i panicked and didn't work to my full potential. My teacher was shocked at my result because he also believed i would get an A. I'm on a mid-B right now and not sure whether i should retake 1 or both modules next summer and try and increase my chances to get an A/A* overall or just go with what i have now. Are the chances if getting an A overall right now with a mid-B high or low? Am i likely to undermine my A2 and therefore my overall result by working on my AS again? I just need advice right now because it's stressing me out.
    P.S. this is the only subject i am considering retakes in. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSIOlajideBT)
    I got 74 UMS (B) in unit 1 (Micro) and 77 UMS (B) in unit 2 (Macro). I know i could've got an A easily but i know i took revision too relaxed and i was over-confident in myself so when it came to the actual exam, i panicked and didn't work to my full potential. My teacher was shocked at my result because he also believed i would get an A. I'm on a mid-B right now and not sure whether i should retake 1 or both modules next summer and try and increase my chances to get an A/A* overall or just go with what i have now. Are the chances if getting an A overall right now with a mid-B high or low? Am i likely to undermine my A2 and therefore my overall result by working on my AS again? I just need advice right now because it's stressing me out.
    P.S. this is the only subject i am considering retakes in. Thanks in advance!
    Do you need a A for uni? How many other exams do you have/what are your other subject? Probs best asking your teacher for advice really, have you decided on your career path?

ReputationRep:
    Just focus on A2 honestly those are high B's Unit 4 is worth the most too If you can smash that you are home and dry its out of 120ums
    Unit 3 is similar to Unit 1 in terms of structure so you should have no issues in that area. I think because of the comfortable B's you have it isn't worth resisting as You'll add stress and are at risk of impacting the A2 modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidan.reed)
    Just focus on A2 honestly those are high B's Unit 4 is worth the most too If you can smash that you are home and dry its out of 120ums
    Unit 3 is similar to Unit 1 in terms of structure so you should have no issues in that area. I think because of the comfortable B's you have it isn't worth resisting as You'll add stress and are at risk of impacting the A2 modules
    My teacher recommended retaking one module in order to increase my chances in getting an A. In your opinion should i retake unit 1 or unit 2? Which one is easier and which one takes more time to go through etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSIOlajideBT)
    My teacher recommended retaking one module in order to increase my chances in getting an A. In your opinion should i retake unit 1 or unit 2? Which one is easier and which one takes more time to go through etc?
    Hi okay well your teacher knows best! I'd recommend unit 1 as its smaller and very easy to revise for section A as it is multiple choice
    That's just my opinion all the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidan.reed)
    Hi okay well your teacher knows best! I'd recommend unit 1 as its smaller and very easy to revise for section A as it is multiple choice
    That's just my opinion all the best!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I got a C in AS Econ and retook the AS exams to get an A overall. Went from 63 UMS to 92 in Econ 1 and 73 UMS to 90 in Econ 2. A2 exams had a mean of 81 when combined, but because of AS resits, my overall A was quite high. Since AS is easy compared to A2, I'd say retake. An A* in Econ overall is unpredictable because it's subjective, so if you just fall short, having high AS UMS might back you up.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.