Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M343 - Motion on Rail Re-openings, The Hon. Barnetlad MP
    Motion on rail re-openings
    This House notes the reopening of the rail line from Edinburgh to the Scottish Border towns of Galashiels and Tweedbank. This House believes that other rail line reopenings should be supported, to increase job opportunities for those without a car, provide rail service resilience and bring visitors to the communities concerned.

This House wishes to see included in those considered by Network Rail the second route to Cornwall, the Oxford-Cambridge route, the link to the community of Skelmersdale in Lancashire, and the Lewes-Uckfield link in Sussex.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Would have to be a matter of how much would it cost to reopen these lines? How heavily would they be used? What advantage is there over the existing methods, for instance, there is a bus that does Oxford-Cambridge? What would the anticipated usage be? etc
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think that dawlish has shown us that a second Cornish line is nessesary.

ReputationRep:
    The X5 bus serves Oxford to Cambridge as it is, although it takes longer than the train would. The line is already in discussion to be opened as an extension to the old Varsity line which is being opened between Oxford and Bedford by 2019 thanks to Chiltern Railways East West Rail Link.

ReputationRep:
    #downsouthproblems

ReputationRep:
    Nothing about the Blyth, Ashington and Tyne line. Oh well. Aye anyway.

It all depends how much more government money we want to throw at the rail network in subsidies - any new lines have to be economically viable, and not run at a considerable loss. For some cases, improved bus services might be a lot more viable, though I don't know the detail about the specific lines in the motion.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Costing should probably have been done, but aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I came across this line as a work in progress when on a walk in Scotland this year, whereupon I was accosted by a literal anorak who decided to tell me the precise details of the line's construction for about ten minutes. He seemed to think it was a good idea, and I have no reason to disagree with him. Aye, though I would have to look at the costings of specific proposals.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really use trains so I'll follow the general view here when voting.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

The presence and use of train services is in everyone's interest, whether or not they use them themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Dependent on cost of course, but aye.

ReputationRep:
    No. I cannot justify voting for something that involves spending an unknown amount of money to reopen a line, possibly relay parts of the line, fit signals, refurbish stations, employ staff, and a subsidise a service where demand is low, making it a waste.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    The X5 bus serves Oxford to Cambridge as it is, although it takes longer than the train would. The line is already in discussion to be opened as an extension to the old Varsity line which is being opened between Oxford and Bedford by 2019 thanks to Chiltern Railways East West Rail Link.
    I was going to say... the Oxford to Cambridge line is definitely in the works and as far as I was aware, likely to go ahead as part of Chiltern Railways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I was going to say... the Oxford to Cambridge line is definitely in the works and as far as I was aware, likely to go ahead as part of Chiltern Railways.
    It's delayed as Oxford to Marylebone takes precedence.

By 2019 the Oxford - Milton Keynes - Bedford line should be open before it's extended. I think it's project name is Evergreen 3.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    It's delayed as Oxford to Marylebone takes precedence.

By 2019 the Oxford - Milton Keynes - Bedford line should be open before it's extended. I think it's project name is Evergreen 3.
    Yeh, tbh, I don't really care about the OXF-MYB as I've got the Bicester North station to get to MYB anyway so makes no difference to me, but it'll be nice having the Bicester-OXF line running again!!

And 2019 now!? Last I checked it was meant to be complete by 2017...!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, tbh, I don't really care about the OXF-MYB as I've got the Bicester North station to get to MYB anyway so makes no difference to me, but it'll be nice having the Bicester-OXF line running again!!

And 2019 now!? Last I checked it was meant to be complete by 2017...!!!
    I won't use OXF-MYB anyway, I only ever go to London for gigs so it's easier to just get a Nightrider ticket on the Oxford tube. Can't wait for Bicester to Oxford to be open again, paying £2 for a train ticket instead of however much on the S5!

It was meant to be next year but they delayed it to work on improvements to Mainline/OXF-MYB.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I won't use OXF-MYB anyway, I only ever go to London for gigs so it's easier to just get a Nightrider ticket on the Oxford tube. Can't wait for Bicester to Oxford to be open again, paying £2 for a train ticket instead of however much on the S5!

It was meant to be next year but they delayed it to work on improvements to Mainline/OXF-MYB.
    Fair enough!! And yeh, although, rather snobbishly, I've never used the S5! I can't stand buses and avoid them like the plague, and so either beg friends and family to drive me, or don't go!

And ahh, fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough!! And yeh, although, rather snobbishly, I've never used the S5! I can't stand buses and avoid them like the plague, and so either beg friends and family to drive me, or don't go!

And ahh, fair enough!
    I used the S5 once. Never again.
    Buses are a necessary evil in the City (I much prefer trains) although outside of rush hour times I tend to drive.

ReputationRep:
    Can we not first get electrification back on track first please? It would be nice to have trains that aren't ridiculous over-crowded all the time between Lancaster and Manchester. Giving TPE more Electric trains and more electric routes would solve this problem.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.