Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok- a question for you all (particularly Pencil Queen!!)

My boyfriend has applied to coventry university for this september. He is going to live at home, and does not want a student loan. However- does he still need to notify his LEA that he will be going to university? If so, how does he do this- does he just fill in the same form as everyone else but just not tick the 'i want to take up the loan' box? If he does not notify them, will he have to pay full fees like international students??

Please help- he is hopeless so i thought i would try and sort it out for him!!

Thanks!

Ruthiepoothie

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he still has to fill in the application form PN1 or whatever it is for the LEA. It says very clearly that even if you don't think you'll get assistance and don't want a loan then you may have to pay well more than £1150 in tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    What is this PN1 form? Does absolutely everyone have to do one- where do they come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    What is this PN1 form? Does absolutely everyone have to do one- where do they come from?
    yup, you have to do one to confirm that you are eligible for fee support (even if you have to pay the full £1125, remember that this is just a top up - it is considerably subsidised compared to the full fees that international students have to pay). Just contact your LEA and ask for them to post you all the info and forms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    spot on

One thing that he also should be able to do - if he changes his mind halfway through the year and decides he could use *some* of his loan he can apply later on - even if he only wants say £500 for the yr or something to help cover any emergencies...or even go on holiday - you will NEVER get such reasonable loan terms.

You can get the forms by clicking on the loans/fees link in my sig.
    lovely, that's what i thought. i personally think he should take the loan out anyway, even if he's not going to use it- that's what i'm doing...but he is so stubborn!!

Anyway- thanks everyone....have just found the form on the net but have asked for a paper copy from lea cos i don't want to waste my printer ink!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    lovely, that's what i thought. i personally think he should take the loan out anyway, even if he's not going to use it- that's what i'm doing...but he is so stubborn!!

Anyway- thanks everyone....have just found the form on the net but have asked for a paper copy from lea cos i don't want to waste my printer ink!!
    Tell him to take it out and stick it in an ISA to earn interest...at the end of uni he'll have the whole lot left plus an extra bit of interest that doesn't need to be paid back! And, assuming he doesn't touch the loan, he can pay it back straight away. Be even more stubborn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Tell him to take it out and stick it in an ISA to earn interest...at the end of uni he'll have the whole lot left plus an extra bit of interest that doesn't need to be paid back! And, assuming he doesn't touch the loan, he can pay it back straight away. Be even more stubborn!
    I've tried that one....he says he doesn't want to be in debt...ever!
    Stupid boy- i don't know what he's going to do when he wants to buy a house and he has to take out a :eek: mortgage!!
    I'm working on him!!!
    He tried to force me into not having a student loan...but i wasn't having any of it!! If i don't spend it- i can just give it back!!!

Men!! :rolleyes:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.