Turn on thread page Beta

jj

ReputationRep:
    You lucky f*cker, I wish my dad was doing the same for me!

But anything like a Polo, Corsa, in fact why not get a Golf GTI that's a year or two old? A brilliant car, low insurance bracket, and you can get em less than £15k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)

But anything like a Polo, Corsa, in fact why not get a Golf GTI that's a year or two old? A brilliant car, low insurance bracket, and you can get em less than £15k.
    It's insurance group 29 - probably not ideal for a new driver...

ReputationRep:
    VW Scirocco, you will have to get a 2 year old car for that price though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    It's insurance group 29 - probably not ideal for a new driver...
    For how fast it is, that's quite low, and he's not the one paying for the insurance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Get a much cheaper used Corsa or Fiesta and save yourself and your father some money. Save the new cars for when you've been driving properly for a bit longer. My first car was an old Corsa and I had a few scuffs on the tyres or bumps and scrapes on stupid things (My girlfriends gatepost when I was reversing). Glad I got all that out of the way in some cheap pile of crap rather than a new car I actually cared about looking after.

(Original post by hihihihihi)
    VW Scirocco, you will have to get a 2 year old car for that price though.
    insurance way too high

(Original post by Wellzi)

a gti is like 6k a year on insurance, i cant afford that

(Original post by JordE)
    Get a much cheaper used Corsa or Fiesta and save yourself and your father some money. Save the new cars for when you've been driving properly for a bit longer. My first car was an old Corsa and I had a few scuffs on the tyres or bumps and scrapes on stupid things (My girlfriends gatepost when I was reversing). Glad I got all that out of the way in some cheap pile of crap rather than a new car I actually cared about looking after.
    he offered to buy me a brand new one even when i asked for a 2010 polo £4k

im not too bothered about scratches, they are not noticeable unless you look hard, but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Fiesta or corsa for young drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by amoham)
    Fiesta or corsa for young drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    all my friends have volkswagens i think fiesta's are ugly and corsa are too common

ReputationRep:
    Yh I have mates with polos and corsas, I myself own an astra but I think that's out if the price bracket for a new one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jamesd678)
    all my friends have volkswagens i think fiesta's are ugly and corsa are too common
    How about a hyundai i20, kia picanto or peugeot 208.
    I know hyundais have 5 year warranties and kias have 7 year warranties so thats worth bearing in mind as well.

ReputationRep:
    Few of the 2015 Seats look quite good, polo's also good first cars but too small I find. Have you looked at the 1.4/1.6 golfs? With the ecoboost engines? Low insurance, quality car. New gen Peugeot is also good - the 208.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I would advise against spending 15K on a first car. Its a lot of money and its your first car, after a year - the limiting factor being the insurance prices should be less of a factor which'll open up new options. Maybe get a cheaper car and ask him to try for something after your 1st NCB? Or you could buy a second hand car, and ask him to put the rest of the money towards the insurance.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.