Turn on thread page Beta

Unable to get student finance - suggestions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I've been trying to get to university for nearly 8 years by now but due to various circumstances I've been unsuccessful at every turn.

My mom and stepdad live in Canada and the majority of my family in the UK are not on great terms with me for reasons connected to that (weird situation in short). I'm a British national and working full time in London trying to save whatever I can to put away for uni but with living expenses I'm finding that's a monumental task. My parents are working with a low income and my stepdad is currently out of work due to an unfortunate and seemingly endless medical issue.

In 2013 I applied for university and student finance but managed to misread the terms and came to learn that I was ineligible for the loan I needed. A local MP fought my case for me but ultimately it came to nothing and I had to give up. I went on to take a job opportunity in China for several months and the experience made me only strengthen my desire for a degree and an actual career.

It occurred to me upon my return to the UK that this country is probably not my best bet for studying and I have since found the perfect course several thousand miles away...but chances of getting a tuition reduction or waiver in the first year is highly unlikely. I'm saving all I can but I daren't even apply without some sense of possibility that I can pay for my degree, that I can actually make it this time.

Any suggestions would be seriously appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to study ?
    have you ever thought about doing something abroad in a country where education is free .
    This could be in : Germany , Denmark or France .

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to go into Asia Pacific Studies/Liberal Arts but so far the European unis I've looked at don't offer the course in English and my language skills aren't anywhere close to the point where I'd just survive in a course yet.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything in your personal history which prevents you from living in the UK and building up the necessary 3 years of "Ordinary Residence" which would give you the full SF entitlement? It might be another delay, but it may not be permanently out of reach.

The only thing I can think of which would permanently bar you from eventually getting full SF, would be if you only came to the UK for education in the first place.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.