Turn on thread page Beta

Maximum number of postgraduate applications at Cambridge watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am currently preparing my application for a master's degree at the University of Cambridge. I was wondering whether there is a limit on the maximum number of applications you can send, as I cannot find this information on their website. Also, what do you think is the best strategy:
    1) Apply for as many programmes as possible, so that chances of getting an offer are maximised. Is there a danger of the admission team rejecting all my applications because I am applying for different programmes?
    2) Or should I only apply for the programme I really like?

Also, if I apply for 2 programmes at the same department (e.g.MPhil Real Estate Finance and MPhil Planning, Growth and Regeneration), would that be a negative (becuase admission team woud see 2 different statements of interest which show different motivations for each programme)?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctctc)
    Hi guys, I am currently preparing my application for a master's degree at the University of Cambridge. I was wondering whether there is a limit on the maximum number of applications you can send, as I cannot find this information on their website. Also, what do you think is the best strategy:
    1) Apply for as many programmes as possible, so that chances of getting an offer are maximised. Is there a danger of the admission team rejecting all my applications because I am applying for different programmes?
    2) Or should I only apply for the programme I really like?

Also, if I apply for 2 programmes at the same department (e.g.MPhil Real Estate Finance and MPhil Planning, Growth and Regeneration), would that be a negative (becuase admission team woud see 2 different statements of interest which show different motivations for each programme)?

Thanks in advance!
    I think you have no responses because this should really be in the Postgraduate Applications section!

This all reads as 'I'm desperate to go to Cambridge and don't care about the course' which probably isn't the best approach to take - especially as your two examples are rather different.

Are you in a position to make a competitive application to a Finance course and a Planning course? It's hard to see how your interests/undergrad dissertation/any experience could fit both. And you'd be putting different career aspirations on the GRADSAF which won't look brilliant if anyone in Admissions makes the connection.

Concentrate your energies into putting in one stellar, outstanding application, and maybe consider adding another if you feel you can find another course that you could be a realistic candidate for - but definitely don't 'apply for as many programmes as possible'

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.