The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
I feel like I am the only one doing Ecosystems. Feel so screwed as the only things I can remember is succession, Tropical Rainforests and eco-tourism.
Hi all!

I'm studying:
1) Plate tectonics & associated hazards
2) Ecosystems: change and challenge
3) Development and globalisation
4) Contemporary conflicts and challenges

----------------------------------
Some useful resources:

http://www.acegeography.com/

http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/as-and-a-level/geography/teach/command-words

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sCmMN-dcXZHtXl9TJ79znNrjUrceWt2B8PNOaNmIKPA/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fj8N_OgXO2s_mSI0KziVWJf9jLxaPQE_hPc11RAIYnc/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IObXNOLHTm2PrGYZn0Ou6HOb9ZI27Otxh_eGJs0EYss/edit?usp=sharing

(I made the google drive stuff Btw, so if anyone has any comments or ideas I will take them into account and edit)

Thanks,

Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iEimis
I feel like I am the only one doing Ecosystems. Feel so screwed as the only things I can remember is succession, Tropical Rainforests and eco-tourism.

I'm doing Ecosystems as well it isn't too bad provided you understand the core concepts such as energy flows and nutrients cycles as they can be used in the 7 mark questions as theory.
Reply 243
Original post by Atomicmat
I really hope it is going to be the theory for the Plate Tectonics essay 😄 any predictions for the ecosystems essay?

Hey what different theory is there about plate tectonics? :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by Sacred Ground
In my opinion;

Ecosystems
7 - something relating to unplanned and planned species in the figure
8 - tropical biome characteristics
10 - conservation vs exploitation

World cities
7 - urbanisation figure
8 - sustainable communities
10 - shanty town management schemes

Tectonics
40 - theory of plate tectonics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats the different theories on plate tectonics?
Reply 245
If I'm definitely doing a 25 marker on plate tectonics will I need to know a tsunami case study? I've seen lots of revision notes that contain one but it doesn't mention it on the spec.
Any help would be great!
Original post by longlivelatifa
Hi guys,
I did A2 Geog last year and found some Human essay plans (only world cities and conflicts) I made that actually came in pretty handy, so I figured I'd upload them. If anybody does want help, just hmu (I got an a* so I may not be completely useless).
Have fun with the subject and all the best.

tutor me pls
World Cities, Conflicts and Place Tectonics... anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by yoMilkSheikh

Yup. Snap.
Reply 249
Original post by Qrstuv
If I'm definitely doing a 25 marker on plate tectonics will I need to know a tsunami case study? I've seen lots of revision notes that contain one but it doesn't mention it on the spec.
Any help would be great!

If it's not on the spec then no.. if I were you learn a few fact on tsunamis eg wave length far out at sea vs close to shore!

Hope this helps
Reply 250
Original post by SJJ97
If it's not on the spec then no.. if I were you learn a few fact on tsunamis eg wave length far out at sea vs close to shore!

Hope this helps

Thank you!!
Plate tectonics and hazards, weather and climate and world cities predictions please?
Original post by tcameron
Any predictions for weather and climate 40 marker?

Microclimates
They arent on the spec but they are secondary effects of earthquakes and volcanoes so you can talk about them in quite alot of the broad essays
So it would be useful to know what they are, characteristics and some figures for the Tohuku earthquake and Tsunami (March 11th 2011) and/or the boxing day one.
Our teacher taught us this because it can give more synopticity in an essay like the nuclear power plant explosions and stuff
Hope this helped!
Reply 254
Original post by yoMilkSheikh

Same same
Anyone got predictions for Weather and Climate ?
Does any one know how to answer this question from June 2010?

With reference to 2 seismic events in contrast areas. Compare the ways in which the earthquake and the impacts be managed.

or this one from Jan 2012?

Evaluate the management strategies adopted following one earthquake that you have studied
Reply 257
Any predictions on the unseen part of the 4a Geogrpahy paper?
Original post by Sean Barlow
Microclimates

Yeah I think it may be on that aswell which I'd be happy about as it's the only practice 40 marker I've done that I got into level 4
I think it may be on the british isles as well or ITCZ&subtropical anticyclones
Original post by geography546
Does any one know how to answer this question from June 2010?

With reference to 2 seismic events in contrast areas. Compare the ways in which the earthquake and the impacts be managed.

or this one from Jan 2012?

Evaluate the management strategies adopted following one earthquake that you have studied

Well the first one is pretty straight forward:
I do Kobe 1995, Haiti 2010
don't think it requires any higher order thinking in terms of evaluating successes but rather just comparing the different ways a HIC managed an earthquake event compared to an LIC - and possibly mention the limitations of the LIC possibly in terms economic restraints, population density, land use etc.

The second one is about saying if the management that was put in place after the earthquake was adequate for that type of country, was successful in mitigating any possible secondary impacts and minimising the trauma caused - possibly justify your points in the conclusion by saying if they've learnt from the impacts of that earthquake i.e. Kobe having 'earthquake day' every year after the1995 quake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending