The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi, how would you answer a Plate Theory 40 marker for the Tectonics section? I have no idea how to answer them and it looks like one may possibly come up this year!!
Original post by markwedwards98
Hi, how would you answer a Plate Theory 40 marker for the Tectonics section? I have no idea how to answer them and it looks like one may possibly come up this year!!

define what it is, about wegener and stuff maybs. Talk about the evidence, palaeomagnetism etc. Thats a pretty tough one tbh bc not much to talk about. Maybe talk about all the margins. Oh yeah, you could talk about George Plafker and the Alaskan Earthquake in 1984 about his evidence, and how Leonora Hoka proved that volcanic materials came from the sea etc (destructive margins). Idk im either gonna do tectonics 40 marker or weather and climate
Original post by bat_man
If anyone is doing weather and climate can you read this. You know we have to know international responses o global warming, E.g. Kyoto Protocol, would it be better to use the Paris Climate Conference from this year? As thats kind of old now.

i'd say use all of them but Paris is probably the most successful climate change summit there's been so important to include that one
do we need to know examples of suburbanisation, reurbanisation and counter-urbanisation for poorer countries as well? Because it seems it's very limited in low income countries

briefly explain wegners ideas - how it initially came from seeing that south america and africa fit like a jigsaw
explain plate boundaries and how seismic and volcanic activity arise from them - use your examples from like you earthquake and volcanic events case studies
the evidence for existence of convection currents in the mantle
the breadth of geographical evidence which supports his ideas i.e. the mesosaurus found in gabon and brazil
contructive boundaires - sea floor spreading and palaeomagnatism leading to the discovery of destructive margins and the evidence
the pacific ring of fire
then there are evidences to critique his ideas:
these include - hot spot theory - although this can also support his ideas of the mechanism of plate tectonics
the fact that his ideas were based really on south america and africa and no initial research into activity on the pacific ocean
Original post by bat_man
define what it is, about wegener and stuff maybs. Talk about the evidence, palaeomagnetism etc. Thats a pretty tough one tbh bc not much to talk about. Maybe talk about all the margins. Oh yeah, you could talk about George Plafker and the Alaskan Earthquake in 1984 about his evidence, and how Leonora Hoka proved that volcanic materials came from the sea etc (destructive margins). Idk im either gonna do tectonics 40 marker or weather and climate

I'm hoping if the tectonics 40 marker is a plate theory one I can do the Weather and Climate one instead

briefly explain wegners ideas - how it initially came from seeing that south america and africa fit like a jigsaw
explain plate boundaries and how seismic and volcanic activity arise from them - use your examples from like you earthquake and volcanic events case studies
the evidence for existence of convection currents in the mantle
the breadth of geographical evidence which supports his ideas i.e. the mesosaurus found in gabon and brazil
contructive boundaires - sea floor spreading and palaeomagnatism leading to the discovery of destructive margins and the evidence
the pacific ring of fire
then there are evidences to critique his ideas:
these include - hot spot theory - although this can also support his ideas of the mechanism of plate tectonics
the fact that his ideas were based really on south america and africa and no initial research into activity on the pacific ocean
Original post by tcameron
do we need to know examples of suburbanisation, reurbanisation and counter-urbanisation for poorer countries as well? Because it seems it's very limited in low income countries

yeah, if you look at the spec it wants contrasting case studies for all of those, between countries at different levels of development... so many case studies.
I'm hoping if the tectonics 40 marker is a plate theory one I can do the Weather and Climate one instead

haha yeah, so long as its not about climate change because that part of the unit is boring as hell.
Reply 349
For world cities 40 marker, I think it might be decentralisation or something about planning/ management.
Sustainability has come up 3 times (June 2010, Jan 2012 and June 2013)
Regeneration has come up 3 times (Jan 2011, Jan 2013 and June 2015)
Hmmm
Original post by naz.97
For world cities 40 marker, I think it might be decentralisation or something about planning/ management.
Hmmm

Do you mean decentralization of retailing ?
Reply 351
Original post by naz.97
Hmmm

What's planning and managment again?
Also, whats the predictions for the Plate Tectonics structured questions...?
Reply 353
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
Do you mean decentralization of retailing ?

Yeah
Reply 354
What would you include in a planning and managment 40 marker world cities essay?
Any predictions for world cities 8 and 10 markers?
Reply 356
Original post by connorw77
Any predictions for world cities 8 and 10 markers?

Could be anything really, but maybe waste management, or urban regeneration/decline
Reply 357
Original post by SJJ97
What would you include in a planning and managment 40 marker world cities essay?

personally I'm doing urbanisation, waste and transport, and urban regeneration because they all link into eachother and there's so much to write
How do you guys answer this 40 marker on World Cities.

To what extent do cities experience the same problems and rely on similar solutions, wherever they are?
Do i talk about planning and management?
Hi I am doing Ecosystems, World cities and hopefully the tectonic 40. For World cities can someone tell me what I would write for a question on planning and management issues and economic development and its effect on urbanisation. Also because I am doing a 10 do I still need to know a MEDC and LEDc case study for urbanisation, sub and counter

Quick Reply

Latest