The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SubwayLover1
So if it said ' seismic event' you can't use tsunamis e.g You can't use the Tohuku earthquake in 2011?

The Tohuku Earthquake is the seismic event, the tsunami was a hazard of the seismic event.
What's Restless Earth that the guy on last page was on about?
Original post by Pterofyre
The Tohuku Earthquake is the seismic event, the tsunami was a hazard of the seismic event.

So for example, if it said compare the effects of earthquakes due to economic development or something like that.... could you still use tohuku ?
So if it said ' seismic event' you can't use tsunamis e.g You can't use the Tohuku earthquake in 2011?

You can talk about the tsunami - it was a secondary impact of the earthquake, that's what you'd say
Hey, if i just revised case studies for conflict 40 marker would that be enough?
Also can anyone briefly sum up tsunamis?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated
Original post by tcameron
You can talk about the tsunami - it was a secondary impact of the earthquake, that's what you'd say

Thank-you ! I was worried then because two of my 5 case studies for earthquakes involve tsunami's !
Original post by Sacred Ground
Anyone else doing the 40 marker first?

My plan:
5 minute plan 60 minute writing - 40 marker
7 marker - 10 mins
8 marker - 12 mins
10 marker - 15 mins

I too will be doing the essay first, its too many marks to leave it to do last and examiners report have also said people spend too much on section A and B and this affects the 40 marker
Is everyone revising seismic activity rather than volcanic activity then? Because Volcanic impacts came up last year, plus what the chief examiner has suggested.
Thank-you ! I was worried then because two of my 5 case studies for earthquakes involve tsunami's !
I really would study your tsunami case studies, for example the 8 mark question in the June 2013 paper was 'Describe the characteristics, and explain the causes of, tsunamis.' - although this is unlikely to come up again.
Original post by Luis Suarez
Is everyone revising seismic activity rather than volcanic activity then? Because Volcanic impacts came up last year, plus what the chief examiner has suggested.

I'm skimming over volcanic activity, but yeah i'm focusing much more on seismicity
Original post by Domers_
I really would study your tsunami case studies, for example the 8 mark question in the June 2013 paper was 'Describe the characteristics, and explain the causes of, tsunamis.' - although this is unlikely to come up again.

I am doing tectonics for the 40 marker :smile:
Is it worth putting in lacoliths for minor intrusive landforms. Where dykes forces overlying rocks to be pushed upwards??
Original post by Luis Suarez
What's Restless Earth that the guy on last page was on about?

He means plate tectonics and associated hazards, I think it's called restless Earth at GCSE so he might have got confused but idk
Original post by TJ_gym
Is it worth putting in lacoliths for minor intrusive landforms. Where dykes forces overlying rocks to be pushed upwards??

I think you'd still get credited as it is an intrusive feature - I learnt about it in my school as well
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..

I've done Christchurch in Newzealend as its easy to directly compare the deaths and how much better the services were!
If it asks for characteristics of an earthquake do you talk about wave types?
our teachers are predicting this to be the last big year on the theory side/ physical geography for tectonics and weather and climate as the new syllabus is heavily focused on the impacts and responses so it might be one last push for proper physical geography!
Original post by Qrstuv
Does anyone have the exam papers pre- Jan 2013? The AQA website's past papers don't go back very far :frown:

just search the year and the paper and they just come up on google
Reply 1338
Original post by rhiannon_
Hi,
My predictions are
Tectonics 7/8/10- Earthquakes case studies comparing nature and impacts. Causes and characteristics of earthquakes.
Conflict 7/8/10- causes and consequences of separatism OR multicultural societies
World Cities 40marker- Retail or causes and effects of urbanisation processes.

What would you include in causes and effects of urbanisation processes?
Reply 1339
I personally think that the 40 mark essay for tectonics will be about plate tectonics theory. It seems pretty cyclical since the last four papers have been; earthquake factors, volcano factors, earthquake mitigation and volcano mitigation. So, unless they choose to repeat one, it should be plate tectonics theory, which was five papers ago.

Also, since this is the last paper of this syllabus, I would suspect that ending it with the theory question seems logical, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a twist on it and try to include the case studies. They haven't done that before, and so it would definitely be a 'mega question' of sorts. I think the suggestion that plate tectonics theory helps the understanding of preparing for volcanic and seismic events seems logical. I seriously doubt they would limit it to just one.

Just my gut instinct though. If anyone else has any last minute suggestions, it would be very much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending