The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Urban climate
Evidence for climate change
Thunderstorms
Original post by jammypancake
What case study could you use for decentralisation of retailing?

Trafford centre, merry hill, metro centre, basically any retail centre!
Original post by Legend12345
Urban climate
Evidence for climate change
Thunderstorms

Thank you!
Original post by gil727
does anybody know what the nature of separatism means, because it hasnt been asked before and i feel like its likely to come up??

Don't panic mate. I just realised that it is on the spec. But don't worry, usually questions on separatism would be on reasons (8 markers) and consequences (10 marks). The nature bit (not very certain what it is) should be a description question (7 marks) only.
Having trouble learning case studies, how detailed do the examiners want them in terms of statistics? Is it a huge problem if you don't include many but still display sound knowledge of the case study as a whole?
(edited 7 years ago)
are people doing the essay first?? or 25 markers?
Original post by Luis Suarez
What would you talk about for sustainable tourism 40 marker? Surely it's too small of a topic for 40 marks but someone said it will come up? Could you bring in the other development issues e.g. trade vs aid? Please help

Like what you've said, sustainable tourism is too small for an essay. That topic would likely to be in a question like 'to what extent can development be sustainable' (Jan 12 essay).

In this essay, you can talk about all three development issues (trade v. aid, environmental sustainability v. economic sustainability as well as tourism)
Original post by Olijm
Can someone please give me a detailed plan for Reasons for groupings of nations? Thanks! So stuck haha

Can include the following:
Economic growth e.g. EU's trading
Tackle development issues e.g. EU's CAP
Global security e.g. North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
Anyone have good idea of predictions for tectonics 25 marks? Barely touched it 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zacharylhw
Like what you've said, sustainable tourism is too small for an essay. That topic would likely to be in a question like 'to what extent can development be sustainable' (Jan 12 essay).

In this essay, you can talk about all three development issues (trade v. aid, environmental sustainability v. economic sustainability as well as tourism)

how does trade v aid fit in?
Original post by zacharylhw
Don't panic mate. I just realised that it is on the spec. But don't worry, usually questions on separatism would be on reasons (8 markers) and consequences (10 marks). The nature bit (not very certain what it is) should be a description question (7 marks) only.

Yeah I agree with that! Nature just means the characteristics / what is separatism& you'd give examples! Maybe if it asks for more detail you put expressions and you can say reasons why / consequences
Original post by Idolo123
Thank you! Just struggling how I can be synoptic with plate tectonics theory if it comes up? Any help? :frown:

Hey! Synoptic seems really hard initially but when you think about it, it's actually quite simple. You need to think broadly; thinking about effects of volcanic hazards on a global scale is synoptic eg. Pinatubo releasing so much aerosol into the air it caused 0.5 centigrade decrease in global temperatures, this affected many people worldwide not just the volcano's immediate surroundings.

For this particular question, you might consider the thought that the theory only helps people in MEDCs because LEDCs lacking in a good education may be unaware of the theory, which can give rise to problems of them not being prepared for tectonic events. Hopefully this helps!
Any good brief notes on an LEDC or NIC counter urbanisation example??
Original post by mrt1997
Having trouble learning case studies, how detailed do the examiners want them in terms of statistics? Is it a huge problem if you don't include many but still display sound knowledge of the case study as a whole?

Examiners dont want to see case study number spam, they prefer you to understand the concepts and principles of the question. The numbers just show that you are relating back to the question in more detail eg 700 jobs created in a Vineland store in 2009 refers to US TNC case study. Dont need to know loads
Original post by lulus1
how does trade v aid fit in?

Aid encourages economic development.
Trade stimulates economic growth.
Then spam with examples, pros and cons.
Original post by Jessica Starfell
Aid encourages economic development.
Trade stimulates economic growth.
Then spam with examples, pros and cons.

whats the link to sustainability though? how is growth sustainable?
Original post by lulus1
whats the link to sustainability though? how is growth sustainable?

Different types of sustainability, Economic sustainability, Environmental Sustainability. etc
Original post by isobella98
he is indeed hes such a babe omg whats your fav song

Atm either The sound or Settle down wbu??
Original post by laramarks98
Major forms of extrusive activity
Are these types of volcanoes or things like pyroclastic flow & volcanic bombs? or both?

Types of Volcanoes
what could i rule out of the globalisation 25 marker?

Quick Reply