Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be disqualified for plagiarising your own ps? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if I applied to do medicine, but then failed to get any interview offers and resent off my application for chemical engineering, if I copied a small section out of my medical personal statement and put it into my chemical engineering one, would this be flagged as plagiarism?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It is plagiarism but UCAS will not flag it up to unis. Make sure your PS is relevant to what you're wanting to study and flows well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It is plagiarism but UCAS will not flag it up to unis. Make sure your PS is relevant to what you're wanting to study and flows well.
    Thanks, this is what I needed to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did this very thing on my gap year and it wasn't flagged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did this last year, it was pretty much the same personal statement and nothing happened.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You can't send a second PS through UCAS in the same cycle though - not sure if that's what you're trying to suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You can't send a second PS through UCAS in the same cycle though - not sure if that's what you're trying to suggest?
    In this case, what would I do if I didn't get any interview offers for medicine?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    In this case, what would I do if I didn't get any interview offers for medicine?
    You can ask if you can send PSs individually rather than through UCAS. You might of course be offered something else, like biomed if you are rejected for medicine. Or it looks like your option is to apply through UCAS Extra. Check out the Applications and UCAS forum for more information on that side of things tho, or the medicine forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You can ask if you can send PSs individually rather than through UCAS. You might of course be offered something else, like biomed if you are rejected for medicine. Or it looks like your option is to apply through UCAS Extra. Check out the Applications and UCAS forum for more information on that side of things tho, or the medicine forum
    Thanks!

I used the bulk of my PS when transferring. No problem encountered.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I tried looking through the ucas course finder but it doesn't say whether or not an of the medical courses are eligible for ucas extra?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I tried looking through the ucas course finder but it doesn't say whether or not an of the medical courses are eligible for ucas extra?
    The OP was talking about alternative courses to medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    So UCAS will still count using your own PS as plagiarism? Just curious to know as my friend is also in this kind of position
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Anything that's similar to what's already out there is plagiarism whether it's your own or not so yes UCAS will pick up on it but as I said before, it won't get flagged up to unis.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Basically, you can plagiarise yourself (say in university essays), but UCAS/unis don't mind for the purpose of your PS

ReputationRep:
    Any advice? I'm trying to make mine less pretentious and am having no luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your thoughts and ideas and go from there. Remember to focus on why you want to study the subject and what your specific academic interests are. Keep it simple and to the point and stay formal and professional throughout.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.