Turn on thread page Beta

How do you decide who gets which room? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    House of 4 with 1 ensuite, 2 medium and 1 small room. We've decided on how to split costs fairly but still no one can decide on what room to take as everyone wants the ensuite and no one wants the small room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    put the room type in a hat
    put the name in a hat

pull room type & name out of hat

ReputationRep:
    Well take a **** in one of your rooms, nobody else will want it then

ReputationRep:
    Decide to swap part way through the year is a tip I've read somewhere. Although the next sentence I read was when it gets to the date to swap usually no-one can be bothered to, so if you really want the big one get it first and you may keep it?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the first comment, where I live we each get a room with an ensuite, thank god.. maybe that's because it's halls

ReputationRep:
    Are the prices fair? Surely one of you is on a budget and would appreciate a cheaper room even if it's small - if nobody wants it, I reckon you've split the prices wrong. Either that or you're all rolling in it.

If nobody has money concerns, pull it out of a hat, and make sure that it doesn't just work out that whoever gets there first has first pick because that's definitely not fair! The problem with pulling out of a hat is that someone might have a financial reason not to want the en suite, but they don't want to say so and be lumbered with the smallest room.

(Original post by Lucasium)
    Well take a **** in one of your rooms, nobody else will want it then
    In the ensuite (because everyone wants it)

ReputationRep:
    put the rooms into a hat and each pick out a room, a system like this is the fairest - maybe the person in the smaller room pays less rent and the ensuit pays more this would make it fairer and will make the small room a bit more appealing, you might find somebody would rather pay less than have a bigger room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipka)
    Decide to swap part way through the year is a tip I've read somewhere. Although the next sentence I read was when it gets to the date to swap usually no-one can be bothered to, so if you really want the big one get it first and you may keep it?
    Draw straws

ReputationRep:
    Unless the small room is really tiny, say you'll take that one because it is cheaper. (But see if you can get the cost down even more because no-one else wants it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woooooooooow)
    House of 4 with 1 ensuite, 2 medium and 1 small room. We've decided on how to split costs fairly but still no one can decide on what room to take as everyone wants the ensuite and no one wants the small room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At random - straws, picking out of a hat, something like that is the most fair way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    We had this situation. The best thing to do - by far - is to bid for it. That way no-one gets screwed like you would in a random allocation.

(Original post by Woooooooooow)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was in the exact situation, 4 upstairs and 1 one downstairs and we let the girl have the big one downstairs. So for the boys we did a 4 way rock, paper, scissors game haha!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.