Turn on thread page Beta

My POS ex is holding my cat hostage! watch

Thought I'd better make this anon in case of legal trouble.

The basic story: I'm an international postgrad. I had some life things, and took the entire summer off from my PhD to go back to my home country. About a month into this, my boyfriend (who was of course still back at the university) broke up with me by email. (There's a lot of talk that he was cheating on me the whole time, but I guess that's not really relevant.)

We had two cats, who are not friendly with each other. They don't like each other. They would probably benefit, not lose from being split up - especially the older cat. My ex is suddenly claiming that the two cats are now friends, and that he should keep both of them. I'm pretty sure he's doing it yes, partially because who wouldn't want to keep their pets, but partially just to hurt me because he really is being like that at the moment. He claims that he adopted them, but one is in both our names, and one is in my name. However, he has held onto the paperwork that proves this so I can't get to it.

Bear in mind that I left the country thinking I still had two cats and a boyfriend I would come back to, so never said goodbye to them in any permanent way. My cats are my frickin world. I last saw them in May... I don't know where he and his new girlfriend live. The entire department seems to be on my side, what with the way he's been treating me. But he still refuses to let me have my cat back. Two people who don't like each other, two cats who don't like each other. Seems simple enough.

Any advice? In my country suing people isn't uncommon, and I'm going to the student legal department of the uni asap for legal advice. But I just don't know what to do to get my babies back :snoozing:

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow cat lover is suggest you lay down the law and demand your cats back as we both know they are the sassiest, most intelligent species on the planet.

I hope you find the cat you're looking for as did I we have lived together for 15 years now and nobody has ever came between us!

ReputationRep:
    Any chance the country is the US? If so, can you not just take a marshal without warning him and prove the cat is yours by getting the paperwork and showing it to the marshal? Maybe I've just watched too much Judge Judy. I guess you might have to sue him. Don't leave it too long.

ReputationRep:
    Paws for thought. Has he read the claws?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.