Turn on thread page Beta

Part time postgraduate degree, working visa or student visa? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I am from Malaysia and I intend to do part time master degree in UK? Something like open university or ect.
    May I know what visa should I apply, student visa or working visa?

    Many thanks.

    You won't be able to get a working visa unless you have an employer sponsoring you.

    You might be able to get a tier 4 (student visa) depending on your course. If you are thinking of doing a course part-time to allow you to work, this is likely to be an issue though. The tier 4 visa only allows you to work 20 hours a week during term time.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    You can get a study visa (Tier 4) for part-time studying. Either do full time and do 20h/w of work as per visa rules and full-time during holidays or get a work visa (Tier 1/2/5) but that's really difficult.
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.