The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fc93
Oh cool! That's the only PgDip you're applying for though right (because of funding or am I going mad/can't read!)?

I don't even want to joke about being course mates in case I jinx anything!! Definitely can't handle this stress haha!

Hahaha I know I just want it to be over with!!! Yeah I applied to City/Middlesex/LSBU/Kings for BSc too :smile:

After digging, I won't really get any money on the BSc either so swings and roundabouts haha
Reply 81
Original post by ChancedTravels
Hahaha I know I just want it to be over with!!! Yeah I applied to City/Middlesex/LSBU/Kings for BSc too :smile:

After digging, I won't really get any money on the BSc either so swings and roundabouts haha

So you're just applying for City twice? That's a good idea! Fingers crossed!!

Eurgh the money situation is a bummer but we'll muddle through! We can worry about that when we get there... eeek!
Original post by futurechildnurse
@Irishbroad you are incredible. Even though I don't know you, I am very proud of you. I am sure you will be offered a place. :smile: x
Thank you futurechildnurse, thats very sweet of you x
I'm sure you'll do great! Are you only applying to one uni?

I wanted to apply this week but my reference is taking months!! Haha

I applied to stafford and wolverhampton. I got my social worker to do a reference for me, hubby and I do short break foster care for children with disabilities, and she had it submitted within 30 mins of me sending the link, it was great. wolverhampton for jan 16 start and Wvs and Stafford for september start. Any idea when I would find out if I have an interview for Jan start ? x
Original post by ladypee
hie Adaka im applying at Northampton as well. all the best
Hi Ladypee, same to you
Original post by irishbroad
I applied to stafford and wolverhampton. I got my social worker to do a reference for me, hubby and I do short break foster care for children with disabilities, and she had it submitted within 30 mins of me sending the link, it was great. wolverhampton for jan 16 start and Wvs and Stafford for september start. Any idea when I would find out if I have an interview for Jan start ? x

Oh that's such a cool reference to have! I swapped mine to a tutor who had actually taught me at uni and she also did it within like an hour so I've been able to send it off now :smile:

Not a clue - this is the first time for me, too! I think some places start interviewing in like October but some don't until Feb-April time!
Hi folks :smile: Can't believe this thread is actually relevant to me!

I'm Bethany, I'm 18 and will be a school leaver applicant; currently studying biology, chemistry and French at A2 with an ABB prediction. I'm applying for Child Nursing at Surrey, QUB, Keele and Nottingham and Dual Adult & Child Nursing at Southampton all for September 2016 entry.

Experience wise I have experience with caring for my disabled little brother (he's the reason I'm applying really!), I currently volunteer on an adult cardiology ward at a hospital and as a junior leader in a Rainbows group, I've done a hospital shadowing placement and other bits and bobs working with children. Feeling pretty confident about my amount of experience but who knows!

I'm just about ready to send off my application now, it's all down to teacher references being completed first. I'm so nervous!

Just popping in to say hello really!
(edited 8 years ago)
I've applied for march 2016 for adult nursing, I'm 23 and have been to university before but decided I wanted to change my degree and be a nurse, I've since worked within the healthcare sector as a support worker for adults with autism for 2 years and I've worked in a NHS trust hospital for 6 months as a HCA in the outpatients clinics, my qualifications are in fashion and the uni's I've applied to have all said that this is fine and suitable as they are at the level they require and my experience in health will make up for lack of health quals. I'm doing the pre degree nursing care certificate through the hospital, which i hope goes in my favour, but i'm really nervous that the course's I've done previously have been in art and fashion
Hiya, do you know if its too late to apply now to start an access course in January? I'm from London and I know Dagenham&Barking college have a Jan intake but i wonder if its too late. I spent a year trying to enjoy Health and social care foundation degree but im not happy with it its not what i have a passion for
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hannah92x
I've applied for march 2016 for adult nursing, I'm 23 and have been to university before but decided I wanted to change my degree and be a nurse, I've since worked within the healthcare sector as a support worker for adults with autism for 2 years and I've worked in a NHS trust hospital for 6 months as a HCA in the outpatients clinics, my qualifications are in fashion and the uni's I've applied to have all said that this is fine and suitable as they are at the level they require and my experience in health will make up for lack of health quals. I'm doing the pre degree nursing care certificate through the hospital, which i hope goes in my favour, but i'm really nervous that the course's I've done previously have been in art and fashion

My A levels are in French, English and Philosophy and my degree is in English.. I think generally though science is expressed as a preference, so long as you meet the general criteria it's you, your experiences and your skills that are more important :smile:

(That said, I've only just sent off my UCAS so may well end up with five rejections haha!)
Original post by Euridice
Hiya, do you know if its too late to apply now to start an access course in January? I'm from London and I know Dagenham&Barking college have a Jan intake but i wonder if its too late. I spent a year trying to enjoy Health and social care foundation degree but im not happy with it its not what i have a passion for

Your best bet is to just call them directly - they will know better than any of us!
Reply 91
Original post by Hannah92x

Whilst I'm sure the unis like you to have some science study, it doesn't really matter unless you're applying for postgrad because they will teach you all the science you need to know! (They obviously like you to have a relevant degree for PgDip because you lose a year of teaching.)

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 92
I'm thinking of applying to either staffs or keele uni for children's nursing. I'm in the process of applying for work experience that will support my application..
Original post by emma5324
I'm thinking of applying to either staffs or keele uni for children's nursing. I'm in the process of applying for work experience that will support my application..

Awesome - same branch as me then :biggrin:

What work experience are you looking to do? :smile:
Reply 94
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for adult nursing,
Unis: Manchester, Manchester Met. And Salford.

I'm a mature student (23)! And mum of two. I do voluntary work in a care home for the elderly and I am doing the health access course. Half way through my personal statement! Good luck to you all :smile: Is anyone going to open days soon? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Awesome - same branch as me then :biggrin:

What work experience are you looking to do? :smile:

hiya, erm well any sort of experience working with children really...i may apply at the hospital and at my sons nursery too..

I'm studying a access science diploma at the moment so I will have see if the will accept me go in one day a week, if not then do the experience next June but ideally want do it before I submit my application x
Hi everyone, I hope you're all well! It's really exciting and a bit scary that this thread exists now. It's starting to seem all really real!

Branch: Adult Nursing

Uni(s) applying to: Bournemouth, Southampton, UWE, Plymouth, Anglia Ruskin.

Relevant experience/extra info: carer for two years for an amputee with a terminal illness. volunteer in residential home for a year and a half. Work experience for one week on a NHS hospital ward. I also am a first aider, thanks to St John's Ambulance and run a mental health advice blog. Also I'm fundraising to do GapMedics in Tanzania next July! :smile:
Hi! I'm so happy this exists! :biggrin:
Uni(s) applying to: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Uni of Leeds, Uni of York and Kings!
Relevant experience/extra info: I'm an A-Level student at the moment! Ward volunteer, Cadet Leader in CCF, one weeks experience on ward, 3 weeks over 3 years caring for assisted pilgrims in Lourdes in France and an EPQ! A2 Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Math and an AS in Art!
Got an acknowledgement from Kings! Has anyone heard anything from anywhere else?
Good luck everybody!!:redrose:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by AnnaBroekman
Hi! I'm so happy this exists! :biggrin:
Uni(s) applying to: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Uni of Leeds, Uni of York and Kings!
Relevant experience/extra info: I'm an A-Level student at the moment! Ward volunteer, Cadet Leader in CCF, one weeks experience on ward, 3 weeks over 3 years caring for assisted pilgrims in Lourdes in France and an EPQ! A2 Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Math and an AS in Art!
Got an acknowledgement from Kings! Has anyone heard anything from anywhere else?
Good luck everybody!!:redrose:

Leeds start interviewing end of November/beginning of December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hello!

Has anyone had acknowledgement or been invited for any interviews yet? I am still trying to get the personal statement up to scratch! So so close to applying now!

@ChancedTravels I didn't get the job, but plan on doing some voluntary week in a four children's centre and in the youth centre! :smile:

Hi! Got an acknowldgment from Birmingham so hopefully they'll get back soon 😀 how's your PS coming along??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending