The Student Room Group

As Physics Homework Help

Hello I've just started as level physics and am stuck on this homework on phase differences. If anyone can help it would be great, thanks.
Well I think of phase differences as the fraction of one oscillation completed by a point on the wave. So for example, if in a point on a sin wave is at +1 or -1, the point would have completed 1/4 and 3/4 of the full oscillation respectively. Then, you multiply this fraction by 2pi as 2pi represents one full oscillation. This gives you the phase difference between the starting point and the point on the wave. To find the phase difference between two waves, imagine the first point as the starting point and find the phase difference of the second wave in respect to this. It's basically a matter of perception.
Reply 2
Original post by yeahmerica
Well I think of phase differences as the fraction of one oscillation completed by a point on the wave. So for example, if in a point on a sin wave is at +1 or -1, the point would have completed 1/4 and 3/4 of the full oscillation respectively. Then, you multiply this fraction by 2pi as 2pi represents one full oscillation. This gives you the phase difference between the starting point and the point on the wave. To find the phase difference between two waves, imagine the first point as the starting point and find the phase difference of the second wave in respect to this. It's basically a matter of perception.

Thanks for your help
Reply 3
Would anyone be able to give me any answers to any of these questions so I can check my work to see if I have done it right thanks

Quick Reply

Latest