Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I go back to sixth form tomorrow, planning to study Economics, French, History, Sociology

However, from reading around on SR, it seems thay sociology is ridiculed as being easy and a subject that universities don't respect.

Is this true? And will it put me at a disadvantage, even if my other subjects are respected?

I am thinking of a history or politics course at uni, so will these A Levels allow me to do this?

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Half of my friends who did History chose Sociology as well, and it didn't disadvantage them at all. They still got into really good universities so you shouldn't be worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganm0ore)
    I go back to sixth form tomorrow, planning to study Economics, French, History, Sociology

However, from reading around on SR, it seems thay sociology is ridiculed as being easy and a subject that universities don't respect.

Is this true? And will it put me at a disadvantage, even if my other subjects are respected?

I am thinking of a history or politics course at uni, so will these A Levels allow me to do this?
    Lol dont listen to what people on here say. So much academic snobbery. Unless you're studying all STEM subjects, most people on here arent happy.

ReputationRep:
    I did Sociology at AS Level, and found it really benefited my History studies, even now at degree level. I presume they'll be some relevance if you want to do Politics as well. Your subjects sound like a good mix, and if anything Sociology will probably benefit you, it certainly won't be looked down upon by admissions tutors (only dweebs on TSR but hey they don't really matter in the real world)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.b245)
    Economics, French, History, Sociology is a good mix. Yes, your current options have two "facilitating" subjects (Histort and French). But many universities value Economics, and it is obviously well suited for politics. My friend recently achieved an A at A-level this year, and many have said that it is quite easy. However, sociology is a social science this could benefit your studies. History and Politics have a stronger link to Geography- this is a "facilitating subject". Have you done Geography at GCSE level?
    I didn't do geography at GCSE, purely because I couldn't stand to learn about rivers and coasts, although I did enjoy the Human Geography aspect in years 7-9

ReputationRep:
    i did history sociology and lit and im doing history at uni - sociology wont put you at a disadvantage, in fact it helped me and goes well with history (sociology teaches you basic theories and persepctives which are later applied to history) while people see it as an easy subject it isnt and most unis wont see it this way i would say go for it as long as you have the grades unis dont care that much about the subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Sociology degrees are just government-subsidised political activism degrees. It's cannibalism at its finest. This is why it's mocked so. It's not going to disadvantage you, but I doubt it will benefit you at all. Having taken sociology, I feel I learned nothing I didn't already know; merely had my suspicions confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    For Oxbridge, maybe. It is on Trinity's list of "more limited suitability" subjects. However, it is stated that it would be suitable for arts/humanities/social sciences courses in combination with your traditional subjects. Anecdotally speaking, I know a few people who've gotten into Oxbridge with 'semi-soft' subjects like English Language, Psychology and Sociology.

More on to the point: for most RG's (or equivalent) you will be fine. If they had beef with Scly, surely they would explicitly state that it is considered 'inferior', instead of implementing some 'secret' list and wasting the time of both the applicant and admissions tutors.

I did a totally random combination of A Levels, which included a few soft options. I'm now off to an RG to study Economics. So don't worry!

ReputationRep:

So long as you end up with three good A levels, it really doesn't matter. I got A*AA in RS, History and English Language and Literature and am off to study History at Warwick!

Best of luck- Sociology sounds great. Don't be baited by TSR elitists.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what uni you wanna go. I did Sociology and i got accepted to study History at Reading. I hated every single minute of the lesson though. boring af

(Original post by meganm0ore;[url="tel:59177355")
    59177355[/url]]I go back to sixth form tomorrow, planning to study Economics, French, History, Sociology

You're fine, I'm at Warwick now and in fact Sociology linked really well with my AS history module on the sixties.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

The main people to ask are the admissions tutors at the places you'd like to study. Most will have something somewhere about what sort of things they like and don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    You're fine, I'm at Warwick now and in fact Sociology linked really well with my AS history module on the sixties.
    Hey stranger! Not to hijack the post, but just wanted to ask you- have you thought about what stream of History you wanted to do? Really considering Renaissance Modern now :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisha Rebekah)
    Hey stranger! Not to hijack the post, but just wanted to ask you- have you thought about what stream of History you wanted to do? Really considering Renaissance Modern now :danceboy:
    I'm not too sure yet, I'm edging more towards Modern History though)

ReputationRep:

Sociology is an easy subject to study, but it won't put you at a disadvantage when applying to University. That would only be the case if you had fewer than two difficult subjects alongside it (and you have three!), or if you wished to study a STEM course.

(Original post by Elisha Rebekah;[url="tel:59184605")
    59184605[/url]]Hey stranger! Not to hijack the post, but just wanted to ask you- have you thought about what stream of History you wanted to do? Really considering Renaissance Modern now :danceboy:
    Hiya! Modern stream , going to be studying that along with a Mandarin language module. I can see why you're attracted to the prospect of Venice however and I too would be if it were not for the desire to learn mandarin.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.