how bad is kellogg college

Watch this thread
Goozfrikle
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm a full-time MPhil in linguistics starting this October. Got admitted to Kellogg and did some research into the college, which turns out to be a total disappointment... grad-only, mostly part-timers, weak atmosphere, virtually no history, stupid name, small site, ugly buildings, expensive meals, away from centre, tiny tiny library, no choir, no chapel, no tradition, no societies, all ****...

I know they say no college is perfect and each has some pros and cons, but isn't Kellogg the worst college in the university with nearly no good bits? It doesn't even seem like a proper Oxford college...older and prestigious colleges may be a long shot, but Kellogg!!..come on...I just feel it's so unfair

anyone knows anything more about Kellogg? how bad is it?..
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
It attracts flaky students.
yelllowribbon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm about to start there as well, unsure which modules to pick though...Cornflakes studies or Crunchy Nut studies...decisions decisions

Edit: sorry for the lack of helpfulness btw...but still, Oxford is Oxford
Maker
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I hear there was also a Weetabix college but it fell down the first time it rained.
username1802765
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It really isn't that bad.. If you add the optimum amount of milk
daisychain_
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
:lol:
Goozfrikle
Rep:
alright that's all very funny...hahaha, but I'm having a serious problem here guys, any real suggestion for me on how to prevent my college life from being total crap? or did I overstate any of the bad points above about Kellogg?
Maker
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
New College is nice, my friend did his DPhil there.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
And worst of all, they did **** on University Challenge.

6/10, would not go.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Goozfrikle)
I'm a full-time MPhil in linguistics starting this October. Got admitted to Kellogg and did some research into the college, which turns out to be a total disappointment... grad-only, mostly part-timers, weak atmosphere, virtually no history, stupid name, small site, ugly buildings, expensive meals, away from centre, tiny tiny library, no choir, no chapel, no tradition, no societies, all ****...

I know they say no college is perfect and each has some pros and cons, but isn't Kellogg the worst college in the university with nearly no good bits? It doesn't even seem like a proper Oxford college...older and prestigious colleges may be a long shot, but Kellogg!!..come on...I just feel it's so unfair

anyone knows anything more about Kellogg? how bad is it?..
I think you're making it sound worse than it probably is. As a disclaimer, I have never had anything to do with Kellogg college so you can feel free and ignore everything I have to day, but maybe it'll help you a bit. Okay, Kellogg College doesn't have any important history or traditions but let's be absolutely honest here, how important is that really? I get why it excites some people but that's a pretty minor thing. It's not going to have any impact on your day-to-day life. Most societies are part of the university rather than parts of colleges so that's not an issue, you can get involved with whatever societies you want. It's not that far out of the centre, of course it's not as central as some other colleges but it's still hardly far, you can be in the centre in 10 minutes walking so that's not a massive issue and in return, it won't get irritatingly busy during tourist season. I guess the fact that it's grad-only might suck a bit if you were looking for some kind of undergraduate-esque party life but again, it's probably got the advantage that it'll be a bit quieter. And whilst the architecture isn't exactly as impressive as some other colleges, it's not bad, it's just not particularly special. And again, I think a lot of these things probably sound dreadful if you were getting your hopes up for something different but I imagine that when you get there and actually start working, you'll just forget about it and you'll be happy. You're not going to be spending the entire of your time in college anyway.
Goozfrikle
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
I think you're making it sound worse than it probably is. As a disclaimer, I have never had anything to do with Kellogg college so you can feel free and ignore everything I have to day, but maybe it'll help you a bit. Okay, Kellogg College doesn't have any important history or traditions but let's be absolutely honest here, how important is that really? I get why it excites some people but that's a pretty minor thing. It's not going to have any impact on your day-to-day life. Most societies are part of the university rather than parts of colleges so that's not an issue, you can get involved with whatever societies you want. It's not that far out of the centre, of course it's not as central as some other colleges but it's still hardly far, you can be in the centre in 10 minutes walking so that's not a massive issue and in return, it won't get irritatingly busy during tourist season. I guess the fact that it's grad-only might suck a bit if you were looking for some kind of undergraduate-esque party life but again, it's probably got the advantage that it'll be a bit quieter. And whilst the architecture isn't exactly as impressive as some other colleges, it's not bad, it's just not particularly special. And again, I think a lot of these things probably sound dreadful if you were getting your hopes up for something different but I imagine that when you get there and actually start working, you'll just forget about it and you'll be happy. You're not going to be spending the entire of your time in college anyway.
Thanks, but still...being in a college like that would definitely make my experience less "Oxbridge" I suppose
Sneekes
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, but still...being in a college like that would definitely make my experience less "Oxbridge" I suppose
Hi,

I will be starting at Kellogg College in 3 weeks time as a postgrad PT student. Granted, my department is close by (CS) and I'm older than most, but I did my research. I visited New College and went to take a peek at other colleges before I went to Kellogg. Kellogg College is spanking new and has some great facilities. The accommodation is also far better than most, if not all, colleges. New College were very nice to me and showed me a bit round but the accommodation is limited and somewhat geared for undergrads.

I chose Kellogg after doing my homework on all this. Trust me, your social and cultural life will be as good or as poor as you would like it to be. I do miss the fact that it will not have a chapel close by in pure Oxford tradition and it does not have the heritage some other colleges have. Nevertheless, keep in mind what you are there for. At the end of the day, the choice of college will not impact the quality of your degree (unless it is the college which is providing the tuition rather than the department).
El Salvador
Report 6 years ago
I'm a full-time MPhil in linguistics starting this October. Got admitted to Kellogg and did some research into the college, which turns out to be a total disappointment...
I just left Kellogg and it's been a great time there.

grad-only,
How is this a bad thing? Undergraduates have a very different culture, and you do realise in mixed colleges grads and undergrads don't mix either?

mostly part-timers,
Which means you meet a lot of people with a career...Good for connections.

weak atmosphere,
It's not weak. More people around than most other colleges.

virtually no history,
It's significant to Oxford because only until Kellogg exists Oxford gets part-time students.

stupid name,
Household name.

small site,
Indeed. But not nearly the smallest.

ugly buildings,
It's quite nice actually.

expensive meals,
But the best in terms of quality.

away from centre,
So you have troubles walking for ten minutes?

tiny tiny library,
Indeed but there are more than a hundred libraries in Oxford.

no choir,
You can join other ones.

no chapel,
And this is a 'con' because...?

no tradition,
And this is a con because...?

no societies,
I don't know colleges have 'societies'...And btw, Kellogg rows with Christ Church. Good enough for you?

Then don't go.
El Salvador
Report 6 years ago
Being a graduate student is VERY different to being an undergraduate student, no matter which college you go to or what you read.

If you want to live the immature undergraduate life, go do a second bachelor's degree, not a master's.
El Salvador
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Just want to restate that going to a mixed college does not give you an undergraduate life style or interactions with undergraduates.

And JCRs and MCRs are usually very separated and people don't really talk to each other. If the OP wants to hang around with the young ones, he can join clubs and societies, or try pulling on apps or clubs. I have a lot of undergraduate friends but that's only because of the gay circle and one of the societies I joined.

I personally though I would like to hang around with undergraduates because I was still very young, but only after knowing them I felt my lifestyle is just too different to them, and it's just a bit difficult to be excited about Bridge Thursdays or having sex with dead pigs. But then I'm also not from the UK so culturally obviously I'm different - but I don't feel misplaced at Kellogg, and the social life there is actually quite vibrant. Some part-timers just hang around doing mostly nothing, and the MCR president this year even is a graduate who isn't even studying, so I'm sure he'll have loads of them to organise events and stuff.

Did I mention the college president's father worked with Alan Turing during the war? And that you can easily talk to them about anything or sit next to him during meals?

Or the 24/7 libraries which don't exist in most colleges?

Very inexpensive ball that gives you a Ferris Wheel and considerably more food?

Also, the buildings are Victorian, which means they are older than a number of colleges. And Kellogg's also the only college with a Scottish tartan.

---

On its UC performance: I agree it's disappointing, but when the average age is so much older, you can certainly see why they lost mostly due to not being able to respond as quick as the other team did. People are also less excited about it in general with the population being graduate (more mature), part-time (busy), and international (ie most no idea what UC is). Some also didn't join because they were on UC previously - the captain of Trinity Cambridge who won the year before was at Kellogg but he didn't go for UC again.
TheTechN1304
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ellogg_College
The Good Bits
  • Architecturally beautiful - Housed in three gabled Victorian buildings
  • The Quads are gorgeous
  • One of the largest colleges by student numbers
  • Massive scenic lawns between the College mansions and the accommodation houses
  • Some of the brightest of Oxford's lot end up here. It is a graduate college, so the atmosphere tends to remain grown-up and intelligent.
  • It is the newest college in the university, so the facilities are pretty polished and top notch. Plus, it has been undergoing renovations in the past couple of years. So everything is, well, new and shiny.
[Edit:] Not the newest anymore
  • Interesting events organised by the MCR, so life is never dull
  • Situated in North Oxford (Popularly called 'Jericho'), which is widely considered the most fashionable area of Oxford
  • Close to some of Oxfordshire's best cafes, boutiques and stores. Don't be surprised to see trendy Kellogg students.
  • Best accommodation in Oxford - Victorian bungalows housing few students at a time.
  • Great food, compared to most Oxford Colleges
  • Relaxed atmosphere
  • Diverse research centres.
  • Strong links to the Education and Computer Science Department.
  • Good joint rowing team with Christ Church
  • Hosted some excellent bops this year for the first time ever, raising hope for more.
It honestly isn't going to be that bad. All colleges will have their pros and cons. At the end of the day, Oxford is Oxford. You will have a great time and the fact that you are going to Kellogg will not change that.
El Salvador
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheTechN1304)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ellogg_College

It honestly isn't going to be that bad. All colleges will have their pros and cons. At the end of the day, Oxford is Oxford. You will have a great time and the fact that you are going to Kellogg will not change that.
Just want to add that the silent disco bop is now a regular thing, and they do silent disco much, much better than what I experienced at Magd ball.

+ right opposite to where Richard Dawkins lives, so fans and haters can see him often
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
virtually no history...no tradition, no societies, all ****...
You might like to read the history it hasn't got

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dons-Workers.../dp/0198205759
Pars12
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You might like to read the history it hasn't got

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dons-Workers.../dp/0198205759
Well, I've ordered my copy. Intrigued by the idea of a progressive, working class orientated Oxford. Where did that one go?
El Salvador
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pars12)
Well, I've ordered my copy. Intrigued by the idea of a progressive, working class orientated Oxford. Where did that one go?
Went as more universities pop up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (156)
40.73%
They're exactly what I expected (96)