Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

For GCSE I received: 1A*, 7A's, 4B's
    AS: AAAB
    A2 predicted: A*A*AA

Do you think this is enough to apply to an ivy league? I have extenuating circumstances for the GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeneas11)
    Hi ,

For GCSE I received: 1A*, 7A's, 4B's
    AS: AAAB
    A2 predicted: A*A*AA

Do you think this is enough to apply to an ivy league? I have extenuating circumstances for the GCSE grades.
    Can you apply? Sure. Are you going to get in? Probably not. The ivies have acceptance rates between 5% and 14.9%, which most being around 5-8%. Admission is ultra competitive and plenty of academically qualified students are rejected every year.

Your grades are not bad, but they aren't great. Cornell would be your most likely ivy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    Can you apply? Sure. Are you going to get in? Probably not. The ivies have acceptance rates between 5% and 14.9%, which most being around 5-8%. Admission is ultra competitive and plenty of academically qualified students are rejected every year.

Your grades are not bad, but they aren't great. Cornell would be your most likely ivy.
    Predicted A*A*AA isn't 'great' in your opinion? What A levels did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3110)
    Predicted A*A*AA isn't 'great' in your opinion? What A levels did you get?
    Predicted isn't what isn't good here. GCSE B's aren't good. US admissions pays attention to all grades - the entire academic record is relevant. Ivy league admission even with straight A*s isn't guaranteed. Having Bs on the academic record isn't great.

I never did A-levels. Having actually been admitted to and attended elite US universities at both the undergraduate and graduate level, I think I'm more familiar than an A-level students as to what constitutes 'great' grades for US admissions.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.