Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have just opened an ebay account as I want to sell most of my old yu gi oh cards + beyblades which I got from many years ago, as well as some books I got during uni/ pre-reg in the last year. thing is, do I have to pay any tax on the items sold or do I have to pay any commission to paypal? (the total amount I am selling is worth less than £4000 and I haven't been employed since June 2015. additionally, I am probably going to sell 20 items a month as ebay doesn't charge commission if you sell <20 items/month)

ReputationRep:
    No - there is no tax to pay on selling second hand items that are your own. If you were buying in stuff and reselling it at a profit, that would be a different matter. No idea if Paypal charges commission. I am sure they will sting you somewhere along the line.

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Paypal take commission. As do eBay - they don't charge you a listing fee if you only have a small number of items, but they still take a percentage of your final selling value.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Paypal take commission. As do eBay - they don't charge you a listing fee if you only have a small number of items, but they still take a percentage of your final selling value.
    what percentage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    what percentage?
    Google is always your friend if you want a quick answer

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks (duckduckgo has a long way till it catches google or bing)

ReputationRep:
    you hit 10% with ebay as a rule and 5% with paypal as well as a 20% tax so as well as postage i find i get sixty percent of what i actually sell in the end
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    you hit 10% with ebay as a rule and 5% with paypal as well as a 20% tax so as well as postage i find i get sixty percent of what i actually sell in the end
    ok. firstly, are you registrered as a business or as a private seller, secondly how many items do you sell and 3rdly, does the tax get deducted automatically or do you have to do it?

ReputationRep:
    Ebay stings you three times ime.

A charge for listing the more extensive the listing the more they charge (unless you get those free weekend jobs)
    a percentage of the final sale (including postage)
    a charge from paypal (en ebay company).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    ok. firstly, are you registrered as a business or as a private seller, secondly how many items do you sell and 3rdly, does the tax get deducted automatically or do you have to do it?
    i have both but often use my business account
    i sell 5-20 lots in a month
    auto taxed as a rule
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i have both but often use my business account
    i sell 5-20 lots in a month
    auto taxed as a rule
    are both auto-taxed or is it your business account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    are both auto-taxed or is it your business account?
    my business one is and my private one i'm not sure as i have sold on it in about 4 years
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Ebay stings you three times ime.

A charge for listing the more extensive the listing the more they charge (unless you get those free weekend jobs)
    a percentage of the final sale (including postage)
    a charge from paypal (en ebay company).
    in terms of selling online, what option do u keep the most money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    in terms of selling online, what option do u keep the most money?
    I have no idea im afraid

im a casual seller

ReputationRep:
    Sell as private so you won't pay any tax. The automatic taxation is if you're doing it as a business (you're not evading tax this way, the income you'll have is too low to be taxable anyway)
    Ebay takes 10% and paypal something around 3%. You should look at the websites though, there are clear explanations for the fees

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.