Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am submitting this regarding my concerns with my Apprenticeship. To make this a little clearer, I am doing Business Administration in a Law Firm (Medical Negligence) after 2 years of studying Legal Secretarial in college (UK). It's my first job ever.

There are only 2 people in the office, the solicitor and his assistant, who is my manager. They're married. I share an office room with my manager next door to the solicitor's room. I started on the Monday, and thoroughly enjoyed my first day as it was busy and I got to do filing and was taught some background on some of the cases.

By the end of the third day, my manager began coming across as lazy with showing me how to work things, and if I asked a question I got the response 'work it out for yourself'. She also began making a few unpleasant comments. In example to this, when I was filing some paperwork in a binder she said 'I'd have done that a different way' and I looked at her ready for her to show me how, and she just put her head down and said 'mind you, I probably wasted a lot of paper when I first started too'.

This is where my main concern is, the fourth day. The manager and solicitor needed to be somewhere that morning, so took the whole working day off only to leave me completely alone in the office under no supervision. I was told to scan a huge pile of documents and print off about 3000 copies of a medical record to file. The printer stopped working halfway through and I couldn't fix it. After googling how to fix it I had to give up, and wrote my manager a note explaining this for the next morning. I scanned the documents, though.

The next day I got in at 10 (they start at 9, I start at 10 as I finish later) and no one was there, office exactly how I left it. They came in late and apologised as I explained the printing issue. I was told 'it isn't that hard to fix this printer' as she quickly fixed it not showing me, and scowled and walked back to her desk. I was then told off regarding the scanning, as I scanned the documents in odd piles. I wasn't told that if I was to scan 10, to be consistent and scan 10 at a time each way through. I was just told to scan them and scanned as many at a time.

My manager proceeded to tell me she was going home. I wished her a good weekend, only to get 'mm hmm' for a response.

I just don't get it. In the interview I was told it was to be a learning experience, I learn by asking questions and I am polite and willing to help out, even if it puts me out half way through my own tasks. I am polite and come into work with a positive attitude even though this job is really upsetting me and getting me down.

The solicitor actually came into the office once my manager had left and told me I could ask him any questions and he would be happy to explain. I feel like perhaps my manager has been complaining to him about me. I feel like a burden being there, even though I am constantly run off my feet with my workload.

A few days later, I am then told to stop asking questions and to just get on because apparently, that is how you learn. I'm finding this extremely difficult. I am still being left on my own in the office all day whilst the others are out and being expected to do so much at once.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.