Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yep there is a shopping centre, i have looked at loads of shops and i have been into the ones that have signs up that say they need staff, and i havent really heard from them.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you just do some scams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    yep there is a shopping centre, i have looked at loads of shops and i have been into the ones that have signs up that say they need staff, and i havent really heard from them.
    Have you ever thought of advertising yourself as a Frank Spencer impressionist? I think you will be a natural at it

ReputationRep:
    my work experience is:

Paper Boy - 3/4 years
    Office - 2 weeks (School work experience)
    Bakery - 4 months (My most recent job)

I was sacked by the bakery but they did say they would give me a good reference because there was nothing wrong with my work.

ReputationRep:
    my work experience is:

Paper Boy - 3/4 years
    Office - 2 weeks (School work experience)
    Bakery - 4 months (My most recent job)

I was sacked by the bakery but they did say they would give me a good reference because there was nothing wrong with my work.
    I'm not doubting you, that just sounds like an oxymoron.

ReputationRep:
    would you say my work experience was good bad? do you think they aren't employing me becuase i only worked for 4 months at my first proper job?

Also what do you mean your not doubting me? and it sounds like an oxymoron? what the fact that they sacked me and said they would give me a good reference?

ReputationRep:
    would you say my work experience was good bad? do you think they aren't employing me becuase i only worked for 4 months at my first proper job?

Also what do you mean your not doubting me? and it sounds like an oxymoron? what the fact that they sacked me and said they would give me a good reference?
    Nothing wrong with your work experience. And i just think its funny that they'll give you a good reference but not a job!

ReputationRep:
    they said they will give me a good reference but they had to sack me because they employed me to move around to other shops and i didnt want to do that so they sacked me and that was the only reason, there was nothing wrong with my work.

ReputationRep:
    try small shops like newsagent or green grocers. can you work as a glass collector in pubs if you're under 18? i got my first job in a pharmacy without any other experience or an interview, the pharmasist jsut asked if I was free to work the next day. My boss was an utter ******* and i hated my job but the experience was really good and although he spent every second telling me I was crap i knew myself i was doing a good job and as i basically trained myself in people skills etc it was useful for my current jon. I've worked in clarks now for 2 1/2 years and i absolutely love it, its more like hanging with freinds than doing work and i've basically been guaranteed a contract throughout my time at uni so i can come back whenver and pick and choose my hours. I'm also getting shifts in the hall abr so i can combine my shop job with bar work in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Try local family pubs...you could serve food at the weekend etc.

ReputationRep:
    i will never work with food again, i have considered working as a cleaner but im not sure how to go about it. Do i contact local cleaning companies and see if they need people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    the things that bigger companies like supermarkets etc usually look for is experience...i/.e working with customers of some kind, knowing how to maintain the environment in which u are working,
    you may be right, but ive got an interview for sainsbury's later today, but i have no experience in retail/cashier jobs. all i put down was GCSE's, AS marks and work experience (at a care home, so thats not really the same type of job).

i know i havent got the jop yet, but after having looked at the application form, they have still chosen me for interview, so they are probably going to just find out what kind of person i am before making their final decision.

But i think most supermarkets will provide training on the job, so previous experience would be beneficial but not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I really need/want a job this summer, but I'm too freaking shy, par example, if I ever worked in a shop I would be pants with customers as everything I say I would just mumble and go bright red ( the blushing I cant help it - its rubbish and it happens all the time ). I was thinking about getting a job delivering leaflets or filing in an office, but i dont know how to go about it... any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange soap)
    I really need/want a job this summer, but I'm too freaking shy, par example, if I ever worked in a shop I would be pants with customers as everything I say I would just mumble and go bright red ( the blushing I cant help it - its rubbish and it happens all the time ). I was thinking about getting a job delivering leaflets or filing in an office, but i dont know how to go about it... any ideas?
    yeah i was exactly like this before my last job, but then after a couple of weeks i gotused to talking to people, give it a try you may like it and then after a couple of weeks you still think that people work is not for you then you could choose another job.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a job is all about how you look and act. Ive had 6 jobs now, and im only 17, and never been fired. Some jobs, you have to take some courses to get them, (referee, lifegaurd, ect), and others you just have to be there at the right time. My first job was doing lawn work, and then my second job was a salesmen. Try doing lawn work for some old lady or somethin, or a very busy couple who has no time. You will get strong ill tell you that, and you will have money in your pocket to take the girls out, and eventually a car to go with it!

ReputationRep:
    yeah things like cutting peoples lawn that is kind of what i would be interested in because you work for yourself and it is easy to get customers because you can advertise in your local paper or other magazine very cheaply.

Anyone got ideas like this?

ReputationRep:
    i've had 2 jobs: my first was at wilkos (never again! :eek: ) for 8 months. i left cos of my exams. after i'd finished them i spent pretty much all summer looking for a job but to no avail. in october i started at debenhams and i've now been there for coming up to 8 months. although i'll have to leave soon cos i'm gonna be away for all of july and part of august.

it's not a bad job, really quiet on sundays (when i work). but i was just lucky with getting the job cos they were having a big recruitment drive the week i happened to ask if they had any jobs going. you've got to take the initiative and go into shops, even if they don't have an advert in the window - if i hadn't have gone in that day i wouldn't have my job!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.