Turn on thread page Beta

MPP at Oxbridge, LSE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a rising senior about to apply to graduate school. I want to do a Public Policy Master. I am interested in the programs offered by Oxford, Cambridge and LSE. Is anyone currently doing one of this programs and maybe could share his/her experience with me?

I would also like to ask whether I stand a realistic chance for admission in one of these programs. I am currently an undergrad at a university in the top 30 in the world. My grades are mediocre/decent (horrible first year with all kind of grades including few Cs and Ds and 2:2 overall) and much, much better academic achievements in the following years with an overall of 2:1 and mostly As, few Bs, 1 C and 1 D. My overall grade in terms of USA GPA is 3.3 right now. I do believe I can raise it up in the final year just a little bit more. However, according to the "minimum requirements" that's not even close to being enough for an offer. I do realize how trivial it sounds but.. are they strict on this? And more importantly, are my chances illusory? :/

I would really appreciate anything you guys might have to add. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but yes, they are strict on the minimums. In fact in those programs most admitted students get well above the minimum and many have a first class pass (usually seen as 3.7GPA, Cambridge's department considers a 3.85 the equivalent). Unless you have something else outstanding about your application (such as particularly relevant and interesting work experience) I think you'd just be wasting your time and the application fees. Sorry - I know this isn't what you want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    When you say USA GPA do you mean the actual GPA at your (non-American) university or the GPA at an actual American university? If it's the actual GPA at an American university, you will have no chance. If it's an equivalent, it's possible but you'll need to declare a grade none the less. But I know someone with what she called a 2:2 in India who got on to a course that asks for a 2:1. I have no idea how she made that calculation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    Sorry but yes, they are strict on the minimums. In fact in those programs most admitted students get well above the minimum and many have a first class pass (usually seen as 3.7GPA, Cambridge's department considers a 3.85 the equivalent). Unless you have something else outstanding about your application (such as particularly relevant and interesting work experience) I think you'd just be wasting your time and the application fees. Sorry - I know this isn't what you want to hear.
    What keeps my hopes up is the fact that on their websites, they say that you still have a chance, if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I guess I will just give it a try. =)

(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    When you say USA GPA do you mean the actual GPA at your (non-American) university or the GPA at an actual American university? If it's the actual GPA at an American university, you will have no chance. If it's an equivalent, it's possible but you'll need to declare a grade none the less. But I know someone with what she called a 2:2 in India who got on to a course that asks for a 2:1. I have no idea how she made that calculation though.
    Sorry, it was unclear the way I wrote it. It is an equivalent. My overall grade is definitely a 2:1. Maybe not a "strong 2:1" but more like "mid-ish 2:1". I do realize that it could be better, if I have a first but as I said, I had a very tough first year, which drags my average down a lot.

Thank you both for your comments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rising32)
    What keeps my hopes up is the fact that on their websites, they say that you still have a chance, if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I guess I will just give it a try. =)

Sorry, it was unclear the way I wrote it. It is an equivalent. My overall grade is definitely a 2:1. Maybe not a "strong 2:1" but more like "mid-ish 2:1". I do realize that it could be better, if I have a first but as I said, I had a very tough first year, which drags my average down a lot.

Thank you both for your comments!
    Hm, Cam says you are unlikely to be successful with less than a 3.75 GPA and 3 years work experience. Maybe the others imply you still have a chance, but as I said before, you would need something like excellent work experience to make up for your grades, the minimum is seldom enough. But clearly you don't want to hear this as you are applying anyway so good luck with applications, and I presume you will have the backup of applying to other programs as well.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.