Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend has just got engaged to a guy she has only been with for 6 months. She is 18 and they are going to the same uni next year. They have already booked the registary office and aren't telling their parents. I was made to promise not to tell their families. I want to be happy for her but I can't help thinking that this is too much too soon. How can I talk to her about it without alienating her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    My friend has just got engaged to a guy she has only been with for 6 months. She is 18 and they are going to the same uni next year. They have already booked the registary office and aren't telling their parents. I was made to promise not to tell their families. I want to be happy for her but I can't help thinking that this is too much too soon. How can I talk to her about it without alienating her.
    someone at my school did this. i think its a joke, he just taking the first thing that comes along without even thinking it through.

ReputationRep:
    tough decision
    If you are very good friends then just ask her if she can maybe see herself with this guy in 10, 20 years time and just maybe talk about the importance of marriage and stuff. But I wouldn't tell the parents-eek
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Tell the parents.

ReputationRep:
    Her parents broke up a short while before she got together with this guy and I can't help feeling worride that this is why she is doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    someone at my school did this. i think its a joke, he just taking the first thing that comes along without even thinking it through.
    gascoigne?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Tell the parents.
    but then the friend might lose all faith in them - personally I'd try and get them to stop it themselves rather than involving the parents. And sometimes these kind of romances can really be true-who are we to judge really?? But I'd just make sure she was ready for the commitment.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tractorboy)
    gascoigne?
    greetings millsey.

ReputationRep:
    Telling her parents won't make a difference they are determined to do it and legally there is nothing her parents can do because she is 18

ReputationRep:
    does your friend seem happy with this guy??
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Telling her parents won't make a difference they are determined to do it and legally there is nothing her parents can do because she is 18
    its gonna end in tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Willow)
    does your friend seem happy with this guy??
    xx
    Kind off she seems a bit scared of him tbh, I mean she puts on a smile whenever they are together but then I mention his name when we are alone together and her face kind of falls and she looks really worried about something. I am probably just imagening it.

ReputationRep:
    violence solves everything

no man = no problem

ReputationRep:
    Kind off she seems a bit scared of him tbh, I mean she puts on a smile whenever they are together but then I mention his name when we are alone together and her face kind of falls and she looks really worried about something. I am probably just imagening it.
    Hmm , I don't know. My friend is seeing this (older) guy and he controls her so much - like she cant come out with us as he makes her go see him, constantly demanding where she is etc BUT, he asked her to marry him and she said yes None of us approve really because of his controlling, and the fact that when we talk about him she seems quite down lately. Maybe mine and your friends are doing it as (i hate to say this) a cry for attention?? as in they've been messed up before and things.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I think she feels very close to him and I do believe that she loves him. I don't think it is for attention I think she really feels that this is the right thing for her. He was the first guy she was ever "with" and that is a strong bond. I am not saying she should never marry him just that it is a bit fast. I mean they want to be married when they go to uni so it will be preety soon.

ReputationRep:
    I get it
    Right, well maybe when they are engaged, they'll realise that it has all been so fast and they just need to slow down a bit, maybe have a v long engagement etc
    The worst thing for them to do is "run away" from everyone and only have themselves for back up-this is when cracks in the relationship can occur. Do they keep themselves to themselves?

ReputationRep:
    I get it
    Right, well maybe when they are engaged, they'll realise that it has all been so fast and they just need to slow down a bit, maybe have a v long engagement etc
    The worst thing for them to do is "run away" from everyone and only have themselves for back up-this is when cracks in the relationship can occur. Do they keep themselves to themselves?
    Not really we all hang out together.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i dont know what to say really-just be there for them i guess, you going to the wedding??
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you have to let people make their own mistakes. Besides, it might turn out great after all.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i dont know what to say really-just be there for them i guess, you going to the wedding??
    xx
    Yup I am one of 4 people who they have invited it is a really small scale thing. They are basically elopeing. But what can I do, I guess I have to bit my tounge and try and be happy for her.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.