Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yup I am one of 4 people who they have invited it is a really small scale thing. They are basically elopeing. But what can I do, I guess I have to bit my tounge and try and be happy for her.
    Yeah you have to support her... but you said that shes been down lately so maybe thats why she said yes.. she sees it as the only way to be happy :rolleyes:

I must say it does sound like they're goin too far too soon... another thread said most couples break up when they go to uni and if they really do love each other... I'm not sure you need to get married to show that.

In short, my advice: Be happy and supportive but do try and talk to her about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    My friend has just got engaged to a guy she has only been with for 6 months. She is 18 and they are going to the same uni next year. They have already booked the registary office and aren't telling their parents. I was made to promise not to tell their families. I want to be happy for her but I can't help thinking that this is too much too soon. How can I talk to her about it without alienating her.
    Well, it sounds like they're being very mature about the whole thing. NOT! Ask her if this is how she really wants to get married. I wouldn't mention the guy or the fact that they've only been together for a short time - if you do, that will probably alienate her and get her on a big defensive. I would try and talk about why she wants to get married in such a rush - being engaged is a pretty big commitment too! Is this the wedding she's always dreamed of, and that she'll rave on about for years to come? Why doesn't she want her parents to know? Is it because she knows they'll disapprove? She knows they might be right?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.