Turn on thread page Beta

for people who go to uni, how much time do you spend with your boyfriend/girlfriend? watch

I was just wondering as me and my boyfriend are both going into our second year at uni and we've talked about first year and both agreed that we spent a lot of time together.. literally everyday so our relationship was unhealthy at times as we relied on each other so much. The summer break gave us distance and has helped us to grow apart (..in a good way if that makes sense). Now that uni is soon approaching I was just wondering how do people in a relationship balance university with a relationship, friends, work commitments etc. How much time do you spend with your bf/gf? do you rely on messaging more often rather than seeing each other in person as much? I just want more of a healthy balance this year without excluding my boyfriend.. is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    Usually every weekend. Like the end of saturday and all of sunday

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in assuming you're at the same uni? Do you have the same circle of friends?- because if not, that would be a good way to spend time apart. Or maybe joining extra societies etc.

I know someone who was in the same situation and then broke up- they found it very hard to get back into uni life because they were so reliant on each other!

(Original post by vg21)
    Am I right in assuming you're at the same uni? Do you have the same circle of friends?- because if not, that would be a good way to spend time apart. Or maybe joining extra societies etc.

I know someone who was in the same situation and then broke up- they found it very hard to get back into uni life because they were so reliant on each other!
    yeah, we go to the same uni and no we don't have the same circle of friends, I'm glad we don't to be honest lol. We both agreed that we need to balance things more if we want a healthy relationship. We literally spent every spare minute of our time together, especially when we could be getting on with work. There are other ways to spend our time, we both know it, but we always chose to spend it with each other and I don't wanna do that again this year because second year requires a lot more work. I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible to still maintain a good relationship whilst at uni

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know what you mean- it's almost easier to spend time together rather than do other things. Good that you have different groups of friends though- i'd say focus on that, maybe spend the weekend together and study during the week?

(Original post by vg21)
    Yeah, I know what you mean- it's almost easier to spend time together rather than do other things. Good that you have different groups of friends though- i'd say focus on that, maybe spend the weekend together and study during the week?
    the only problem with that is that i work on weekends so i commute to and from on the weekends so i'm not around from friday evening until sunday morning/afternoon..just nervous it will all cause me and him to drift apart :/

ReputationRep:
    One weekend every 2-3 months.

It's not great, but it's only for 3 more years ;_;

ReputationRep:
    I'm going in to second year too, however I don't live far from my boyfriend. We see each other twice a week definitely, as its two days that we are always free; one during the week and one on the weekend. However more often than not we'll stay together another night at the weekend if we are going out together or have no plans for those days with friends. I don't go to uni with my boyfriend though as he has a full time job, don't know if that's relevant though haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.