The Student Room Group

Exceeded my Cambridge offer, but missed my place (THANKS EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by elaras
This is a massive rant because I'm pissed off and upset.

I had an offer from Cambridge (Kings, MML) for A*AA, with the A* in any subject. On results day I missed my offer, and got A*AB (B in History) - I put in for some remarks and Cambridge said I could attend if I met my offer before 31st of August.

Some came back before that time, and by the 31st I had A*A*B. I was still waiting on my History coursework remoderation; for the first time in my teachers career, it had been moderated down, by 2 grades, for something that wasn't on the mark scheme. I got the remoderation back on Thurday - it had gone up 18 marks. In fact, all of my school's History CW went back up exactly to where my teacher had put us in the first place. So now I had A*A*A, and contacted King's, but they couldn't fit me in because it was past the deadline and they had allocated all the spaces.

So maybe if Edexcel hadn't ****ed up in the first place, or if they hadn't taken 3 weeks to remoderate 3 candidates coursework, or if they hadn't posted everything to do with it each step (slowing things down), I would have a place at Cambridge this year.

EDIT: some people have said not to blame Cambridge etc - I don't! Obviously I wish they had been slightly more flexible and could have magically created an extra room for me or something. But, I blame the exam board lol

EDIT 2 yh: to save you all the time of reading to the end - I have a deferred place at King's now! it's crazy how much attention this thread got, looking back from a place w much less teen angst it's kind of embarrassing in a way but oh well! let this serve as a cautionary tale or something...

exactly the same thing happened to my History CW, and my teacher had also never had it before. Only difference is after about 30 days I'm still waiting for the remark (Though I'm really not confident it'll go up)
Reply 141
Exact same thing happened to me, you're not alone! Needed A*AA to get into Cambridge, got A*A*B on results day. AQA didn't remark my paper before 31st August so I lost my place. Beginning of September they admitted they had lost my paper so they gave me my predicted grade. An absolute joke, I could have got an A* in that paper but because they've lost my paper there's nothing anyone can do. Got a deferred offer for Cam next year though so just going to enjoy a gap year 👍🏼
Original post by GM11
Exact same thing happened to me, you're not alone! Needed A*AA to get into Cambridge, got A*A*B on results day. AQA didn't remark my paper before 31st August so I lost my place. Beginning of September they admitted they had lost my paper so they gave me my predicted grade. An absolute joke, I could have got an A* in that paper but because they've lost my paper there's nothing anyone can do. Got a deferred offer for Cam next year though so just going to enjoy a gap year 👍🏼

Congratulations! That's a good outcome from a bad situation. Good to see another instance were Cambridge has helped work out a satisfactory result.

Boo at AQA though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by GM11

Argh that's awful! What course & college are you going to next year?
Reply 144
[QUOTE=elaras;59594597]Argh that's awful! What course & college are you going to next year?

Yeah I know, we've made an official complaint would be interesting to see what they have to say for themselves. PBS at Magdalene
Reply 145
I'm still in your situation, Edexcel say it takes up to 40 days to remark CW, been 37 and still no word
Reply 146
Original post by yohan97
I'm still in your situation, Edexcel say it takes up to 40 days to remark CW, been 37 and still no word

sooo ridiculous !!! did you miss an offer because of this?
Reply 147
Original post by elaras
sooo ridiculous !!! did you miss an offer because of this?

Yep, had an AAB from Bristol, got A*BB, but the B in History was due to my CW being significantly marked down. Otherwise would have been A*. Still waiting for the remark after almost 40 days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending