Turn on thread page Beta

Do I suffer from paranoia? watch

Announcements

After having read so many news articles about people/students getting raped, robbed, mugged etc, I have become paranoid. It's a real issue and I can't go out at night, sometimes not even during the day without feeling unsafe and scared even if there are people outside.
    I start university in a week and I would like to go out and socialize during freshers week, but I am terrified of getting hurt. I am so afraid that I'm considering dropping out. I honestly want to go to uni and experience London but I feel like this paranoia that started 3 months ago is going to make me doubt everyone and their intentions. Obviously I don't want to doubt anyone but my head does it anyway and I overthink everything. I can't just sit in my room all day and this thought causes me distress.
    Can somebody please offers some advice, I would really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Have you been to see your GP about this or are these thoughts quite recent? I know what you mean about London, it does seem less safe than other places some times, however as long as you take reasonable precautions (don't walk on your own at night after a night out etc) it shouldn't prevent you from enjoying uni!

ReputationRep:
    Instead of thinking about what could go wrong, ask yourself how you could enjou your day and all the great things that could overcome you. You could meet a really nice person whom then becomes a good friend of yours or you could find a new shop where they sell your favorite type of shoes etc. I sort of know what you mean as I've also watched many crime documentaries about girls getting murdered in terrible ways etc. but the truth is, the more you think about something, the more energy you're putting into it, the stronger you're making the thought and the more you're attracting it to yourself. Try to think about the positives, best case scenarios and don't even think of dropping out of uni because this is the time when you'll meet the best people and explore cities and open yourself up for new and rewarding experiences. One cannot simply be stuck in one's room all day watching tv shows Stop reading and watching things that make you nervous and think this way as it'll only get worse then. Focus on reading things in your area of interest and watch shows that make you laugh/enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to suffer from paranoia.
    And from what you describe, it sounds more like anxiety. You need help, get it asap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.