Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be studying BA Photography and am looking to buy a good DSLR for a student that isn't majorly expensive, any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robplantslemons)
    I'm going to be studying BA Photography and am looking to buy a good DSLR for a student that isn't majorly expensive, any recommendations?
    The Canon 100D, Nikon D3200 and Pentax K-50 are all excellent DSLRs that can be bought with an 18-55mm kit lens for under £400. If you have a local Jessops or other large camera store, try and go down and try each camera out and see which you like best in your hands, as ergonomics and handling are important factors that often get overlooked and if you're going to be using the camera a lot more than average because of your degree then it's especially important (you may find camera stores only have the D3300 to try, but it's the same camera as the D3200 more or less).

If after than you still have no preference, have a read around of each camera's pros and cons and make your choice from there. Each camera has benefits over the others- the 100D has a touch screen and an excellent selection of high quality low cost lenses so you can try different types of photography, the D3200 has the best image quality of the three, and the K-50 has a large number of features only normally found in more advances cameras like weather sealing, fast 6fps continuous shooting and in-body image stabilisation. Those are the major advantages but there are lots of other little differences, so be sure to read around before buying anything!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto what Gofre said, However won't your university provide the equipment for you? If you don't already have a camera of your own, you might be better off just using the cameras they have there as they will have gear which is a lot more professional and high end which you wouldn't be able to afford on a student budget.

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself to be extremely lucky and am now the proud owner of a Nikon D610 DSLR, it was worth every penny! What sort of budget are you looking at? I got mine from here https://www.calphoto.co.uk/ but there are plenty of other pro camera shop out there as well. I suggest trying to get a clear idea of what model(s) you are interested in and then looking through 4-5 unbiased reviews and then shopping around and looking where it is sold cheapest.

Good luck and I hope that you enjoy your course.

-Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubergooose)
    However won't your university provide the equipment for you? If you don't already have a camera of your own, you might be better off just using the cameras they have there as they will have gear which is a lot more professional and high end which you wouldn't be able to afford on a student budget.
    True, but photography is a lot about autodidacticism. It takes thousands of images and a lot of time and enthusiasm to get anywhere good, and I doubt he'll have 24/7 and vacation access to his department's gear.

I would, however, wait until the semester starts and the TO has had a chance to handle some of the uni gear before buying his own stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish! £400 for an amateur DSLR. If you're willing to look on eBay and buy a second-hand DSLR you can get a pro layout D300 and still have £200 in change for a good quality lens! WEX photographic are good for getting used gear I picked up a D90 for £150 last Christmas, I am currently studying photography a-level and intend to study at university and will be upgrading to a D7100 or D700 between now and then, both cost between £400 and £500 it is just a case of crop sensor or full-frame; however D7100 is new for £410 from SLR Hut. If you are used to Canon I recommend a 5d, you can get one of these for £250 and they are full-frame and have excellent image quality. My problem with these cheap Nikon bodies is that they don't have in built focus motors so they won't focus with AF-D lenses and you can't use AI-S lenses on them, which means you are unable to exploit the old cheap lenses you might see on eBay. Furthermore in terms of lenses I recommend with Nikon for a crop body get an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 to begin with and then expand from there as it has epic image quality, is built like a tank and has manual override focus. From here get a 50mm AF-D 1.8 (£60-£70) and then get either a Nikon 80-200 AF-D f/2.8 or 70-300 AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6 (both of these are available between £200 and £300). I have used all of these lenses on my D300 and D90 and produce as good images as people I know who use a D810a and the holy trinity. Oh by the way Gofre touch screen is useless on a DSLR, which is why no pro camera has it! I apologise for being a bit one sided with Nikon but it's what I shoot with so it is where my expertise lies (I'm sorry I don't know your budget otherwise I could give a better response).
    DO NOT BUY NEW!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Canon 100D, Nikon D3200 and Pentax K-50 are all excellent DSLRs that can be bought with an 18-55mm kit lens for under £400. If you have a local Jessops or other large camera store, try and go down and try each camera out and see which you like best in your hands, as ergonomics and handling are important factors that often get overlooked and if you're going to be using the camera a lot more than average because of your degree then it's especially important (you may find camera stores only have the D3300 to try, but it's the same camera as the D3200 more or less).

If after than you still have no preference, have a read around of each camera's pros and cons and make your choice from there. Each camera has benefits over the others- the 100D has a touch screen and an excellent selection of high quality low cost lenses so you can try different types of photography, the D3200 has the best image quality of the three, and the K-50 has a large number of features only normally found in more advances cameras like weather sealing, fast 6fps continuous shooting and in-body image stabilisation. Those are the major advantages but there are lots of other little differences, so be sure to read around before buying anything!
    Absolute rubbish! £400 for an amateur DSLR. If you're willing to look on eBay and buy a second-hand DSLR you can get a pro layout D300 and still have £200 in change for a good quality lens! WEX photographic are good for getting used gear I picked up a D90 for £150 last Christmas, I am currently studying photography a-level and intend to study at university and will be upgrading to a D7100 or D700 between now and then, both cost between £400 and £500 it is just a case of crop sensor or full-frame; however D7100 is new for £410 from SLR Hut. If you are used to Canon I recommend a 5d, you can get one of these for £250 and they are full-frame and have excellent image quality. My problem with these cheap Nikon bodies is that they don't have in built focus motors so they won't focus with AF-D lenses and you can't use AI-S lenses on them, which means you are unable to exploit the old cheap lenses you might see on eBay. Furthermore in terms of lenses I recommend with Nikon for a crop body get an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 to begin with and then expand from there as it has epic image quality, is built like a tank and has manual override focus. From here get a 50mm AF-D 1.8 (£60-£70) and then get either a Nikon 80-200 AF-D f/2.8 or 70-300 AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6 (both of these are available between £200 and £300). I have used all of these lenses on my D300 and D90 and produce as good images as people I know who use a D810a and the holy trinity. Oh by the way Gofre touch screen is useless on a DSLR, which is why no pro camera has it! I apologise for being a bit one sided with Nikon but it's what I shoot with so it is where my expertise lies (I'm sorry I don't know your budget otherwise I could give a better response).
    DO NOT BUY NEW!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nbrooks2014)
    Absolute rubbish!
    How's that for common courtesy.

If you're willing to look on eBay and buy a second-hand DSLR you can get a pro layout D300 and still have £200 in change for a good quality lens!
    Yeah, if you're willing to put up with IQ, AF etc. that's about seven to eight years behind the status quo.

... however D7100 is new for £410 from SLR Hut.
    That's a pretty good deal then, and certainly preferable to any entry-level ILC.

If you are used to Canon I recommend a 5d, you can get one of these for £250 and they are full-frame and have excellent image quality.
    Having been introduced over a decade ago, every entry-level APS-C nowadays has better IQ. Just because it's FF doesn't mean it automatically has better IQ than much more modern cameras with smaller sensors.

My problem with these cheap Nikon bodies is that they don't have in built focus motors so they won't focus with AF-D lenses and you can't use AI-S lenses on them, which means you are unable to exploit the old cheap lenses you might see on eBay.
    Fair point. But the Pentax Gofre mentioned has in-built focusing, in-built image stabilisation, weather sealing, two control wheels, a better viewfinder an generally a lot of stuff that makes it more semipro and less entry-level like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    How's that for common courtesy.

Yeah, if you're willing to put up with IQ, AF etc. that's about seven to eight years behind the status quo.

The AF system in the D300 is in essence the same that you would find in the: D810a, D4s, D7200 and D750 so it is not behind 'the status quo'.

That's a pretty good deal then, and certainly preferable to any entry-level ILC.

Having been introduced over a decade ago, every entry-level APS-C nowadays has better IQ. Just because it's FF doesn't mean it automatically has better IQ than much more modern cameras with smaller sensors.

The 5d has better image quality than that Pentax and the D3200. In addition image quality is irrelevant as long as you have at least12mp and shoot RAW.

Fair point. But the Pentax Gofre mentioned has in-built focusing, in-built image stabilisation, weather sealing, two control wheels, a better viewfinder an generally a lot of stuff that makes it more semipro and less entry-level like.
    The problem with Pentax is the lack of support (especially at universities) and the poor quality and the huge price of lenses. Also every photohrapher Ihave ever talked to recomends in investing into Nikon or Canon so Pentax is a really bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with Pentax is the lack of support (especially at universities) and the poor quality and the huge price of lenses. Also every photohrapher Ihave ever talked to recomends in investing into Nikon or Canon so Pentax is a really bad idea.
    Sorry mate, but that is just ... wrong.

a) Pentax lenses are not worse in quality or pricing than Canon or Nikon. There are some very affordable and optically very good lenses available for Pentax, and all their recent lens releases have received overwhelming praise by reviewers. Their FA Limited series lenses are considered to be among the best primes ever made, their cheaper primes (50 and 35 mm) are optically as good as the Canon and Nikon equivalents, and the rest of the bunch is on a similar level to Canon and Nikon.

In addition to that the K-mount has not changed for several decades, so every lens made for Pentax since the late 1970s can be mounted on any current Pentax DSLR - and because Pentax uses in-body stabilisation, they are all stabilised.

What is true is that due to the smaller market share overall third party support is not as good as for Canon or Nikon. But in practice almost any type of lens anyone would want is available for Pentax.

b) Yes, most unis will probably provide Nikon and Canon gear. But as far as I am aware they don't usually have a stock of L lenses lying around. The average uni photography student will mostly work with a nifty fifty, maybe a 35 mm, a standard kit zoom, maybe a tele-zoom. All of that is available for close to nothing for Pentax.

c) What photographers you've talked to recommend doesn't matter much. Pentax so far is not offering a full-frame camera (they have announced one for next year though) and their market share is small, so not many pros use them, but that doesn't mean that only Nikon and Canon make good cameras. Most of the pros you've talked to have probably never put their hands on a Pentax, so they can't exactly judge.

I don't want to push anyone to buy Pentax. They are not better, nor worse than Canon or Nikon, just different. Some advantages over the others, some disadvantages. But the perception that Pentax is somehow not as good as Canon or Nikon, and a bad idea because pros usually recommend Canon or Nikon, is just totally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    Sorry mate, but that is just ... wrong.

a) Pentax lenses are not worse in quality or pricing than Canon or Nikon. There are some very affordable and optically very good lenses available for Pentax, and all their recent lens releases have received overwhelming praise by reviewers. Their FA Limited series lenses are considered to be among the best primes ever made, their cheaper primes (50 and 35 mm) are optically as good as the Canon and Nikon equivalents, and the rest of the bunch is on a similar level to Canon and Nikon.

In addition to that the K-mount has not changed for several decades, so every lens made for Pentax since the late 1970s can be mounted on any current Pentax DSLR - and because Pentax uses in-body stabilisation, they are all stabilised.

What is true is that due to the smaller market share overall third party support is not as good as for Canon or Nikon. But in practice almost any type of lens anyone would want is available for Pentax.

b) Yes, most unis will probably provide Nikon and Canon gear. But as far as I am aware they don't usually have a stock of L lenses lying around. The average uni photography student will mostly work with a nifty fifty, maybe a 35 mm, a standard kit zoom, maybe a tele-zoom. All of that is available for close to nothing for Pentax.

c) What photographers you've talked to recommend doesn't matter much. Pentax so far is not offering a full-frame camera (they have announced one for next year though) and their market share is small, so not many pros use them, but that doesn't mean that only Nikon and Canon make good cameras. Most of the pros you've talked to have probably never put their hands on a Pentax, so they can't exactly judge.

I don't want to push anyone to buy Pentax. They are not better, nor worse than Canon or Nikon, just different. Some advantages over the others, some disadvantages. But the perception that Pentax is somehow not as good as Canon or Nikon, and a bad idea because pros usually recommend Canon or Nikon, is just totally wrong.
    I don't know what uni's you have been looking at but I am looking at studying at Falmouth and they do have a huge amount of l lenses and pro Nikon gear. The point I was trying to make is that if say they have loaned out all of their bodies but still have some good glass left then you could still use it. Furthermore if you want to fo wildlife photography properly at uni then you would want to ise one of the 5,6 or 800mm lenses that they have with your DSLR. So what is the point in buying a Pentax that you can only use during the summer monthswhen you're at home, it just seems a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore if you want to fo wildlife photography properly at uni then you would want to ise one of the 5,6 or 800mm lenses that they have with your DSLR. So what is the point in buying a Pentax that you can only use during the summer months when you're at home, it just seems a waste of money.
    You mean you can only do wildlife photography 'properly' with an 800 mm lens? Somehow I managed the following pictures with a Pentax and 55-300 f/4-5.8 lens :rolleyes:

Your whole argument is based on the assumptions that you need super expensive top-notch lenses to get through a photography degree and take 'proper' pictures. You are focusing way too much on the gear side of things, assuming that it takes professional equipment to take professional images.

As a future photography student it might make sense to get a camera that is compatible with university equipment, but your initial points that Pentax doesn't produce good lenses and after all, pros recommend something else, just didn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    As a future photography student it might make sense to get a camera that is compatible with university equipment, but your initial points that Pentax doesn't produce good lenses and after all, pros recommend something else, just didn't make sense [/QUOTE]

Exactly, this forum was set up by someone who wants recommendations for a good DSLR as he is studying BA honours. If your using it as a hobby camera I honstly dont care what you buy whether it be Pentax, Sony, Canon or Nikon as you are not looking for compatability. Furthermore I don't think that you 'need' an 800mm lens to do wildlife photography it just makes it easier to get the definitive shot. Also I don't like the fact that you have assumed I am all about the gear. I have taken some stunning shots with a 6mp Nikon D70 and a Sigma 28-80mm (combimed price £60). As with all hobbies cycling, golf, etc advances in technology just males it easier as with film to digital. And yes I am aware of the fact I will need to shoot film when at uni and I personally use an F65 with a 50mm; however I am looking to get a more manual body such as a Nikon FM2.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.